Realtek 5.1/7.1 surround speaker issue in Windows 11.

Anonymous
2021-10-30T22:21:25+00:00

Hi,

Since I upgraded to Windows 11 a few days ago, I now no longer have the option in sound settings to enable 5.1 or 7.1 surround support, as I did in Windows 10. At least I believe that I had that option in Windows 10, all I have now is stereo only and I miss the added depth of sound of my 5.1 speakers. Am I failing to see the obvious, or is this an oversight in the programming. If anyone has any thoughts on solving this issue it would be most welcome. I admit I have not tried installing the Realtek Audio Manager, as that file looks as though it may not be compatible with Windows 11 although it did function in Windows 10.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. JosephT71 9,220 Reputation points
    2022-02-18T17:42:11+00:00

    This might be right if the option to configure wasn't disabled for the Realtek Optical Output. Clicking on Properties instead, and going to the Supported Formats tab, I can select and test both Dolby and DTS. Both work.

    My suspicion is that Dolby, DTS and MS worked out some kind of deal to try and prod people into using Atmos and DTS:X Ultra

    Read carefully, it tests whether your av receiver can do Dolby or DTS. It doesn't test whether your computer can do Dolby or DTS.

    There is no deal and that's the problem.

    Google/Youtube and Microsoft are trillion dollar companies and they decided to not pay tiny Dolby any money. Google went as far as creating their own video and audio codecs so that youtube doesn't have to pay anyone any money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-18T17:34:28+00:00

    Well done. That solved it for me. Was struggling to get past simple stereo config. Thanks so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-18T16:45:41+00:00

    I have and it has no option for tweaking the speaker arrangement. I don't use headphones. The Spatial Sound has to be set in Windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-18T15:18:50+00:00

    Have you checked for a Realtek audio console utility? I have mine set for the speaker configuration and am currently using the DTS Headphones:X with my headphones. I am using this same configuration on my gaming system and can hear things coming from behind me as well as, or at least appears, to be much better sound.

    This, of course, may vary with which system you are running. But you should have something that is more advanced than the basic Windows controls.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-18T14:43:17+00:00

    This might be right if the option to configure wasn't disabled for the Realtek Optical Output. Clicking on Properties instead, and going to the Supported Formats tab, I can select and test both Dolby and DTS. Both work.

    My suspicion is that Dolby, DTS and MS worked out some kind of deal to try and prod people into using Atmos and DTS:X Ultra

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments