Old windows still there in another boot mode?

Anonymous
2021-06-03T13:39:36+00:00

Hey, few days ago I had reinstalled windows on my PC from 32 bit to 64 bit but after that had to reset it cuz of start up issue.

But yesterday when I went to my bios( coz my cmos battery is damaged I had to put date and time and select "others" as my boot mode. There was another one bootmode called "windows 10 64-bit" that doesn't used to work but I remember I had installed my new windows in windows 10 64-bit mode and had to format my drives.)so yesterday when I went into my bios and selected "others" with uefi I went to repair mode and had startup error and when booting in from legacy I had the message "select or insert a bootable media and press a key" it was something like that. But after the installation I didn't had to go to my bios to select boot mode because it was alr selected to "windows 10 64-bit" mode. So the windows in my others is my old windows? Because If I reset it from repair mode to fix startup error will it be my old windows? Also will my data be in there, cuz I had formatted my drive while re-installing coz its a necessary step. So is it my old windows cuz I rlly rlly want it back. Booting from legacy says to put a bootable media and uefi takes me to repair screen as if there is windows there.

My 64bit windows is in other mode so yh if it is my old windows I'll reset from there and will I get my data too? And also if u have 2 windows in a PC and u format a drive from one windows does the storage of the other windows wipe out too.

Regards.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-06T16:08:12+00:00

    It depends on what you do at the time of reinstalling Windows. It is wise to start over after backing your files into another drive(preferably an external one) in UEFI boot mode. Legacy is older and deprecated.

    When you see the screen where do you want to install Windows, Choose Partition 1 and select format(NOT DELETE). Do not select other partitions. This would make sure other partition data remains intact and only the current install is removed. If you delete partitions/format other ones and start over, everything would be lost.

    Happy to help you if you show us a screenshot of the disk management(we read those like a doctor reads Xrays 😊)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-06T15:58:35+00:00

    There is no windows.old folder indeed and tmr I am going to reinstall windows 10 32 bit kn the boot mode my old windows (I have a couple of boot modes which didn't used to work earlier so I installed newer windows in them) used to be so does a reinstall remove data from all drives or just the c drive? So,will there be my D drive folders in that boot mode bcoz I was using a whole different boot mode for the new windows.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-06-06T14:21:18+00:00

    Hi Ruchi,

    Sorry, your post is a bit unclear. To summarize,

    You did a clean install of 64-bit and 32 bit was moved to Windows.old folder. Now you want to restore 32-bit. Is that correct?

    Is there a reason why you are not copying files from the Windows.old\Users folder to an external drive?

    64 bit is only beneficial if your device has >4GB of RAM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-06T14:15:11+00:00

    Do you want the pic of the bios or something else? Cuz it's not my old windows but I have another doubt while re-installing does all your drives get formatted or the one which has windows in it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-06-06T09:57:57+00:00

    Sure, shall I give you the pic of my bios?(the boot menu) Or something else? Because I am confused whether u want me to give u the pic of the bios or the windows.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments