PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-12T23:56:29+00:00

    You were totally right! There is something seriously wrong with NZXT CAM as it has caused this exact issue talked about in this post, I would have never have guessed that the software controlling my liquid cooling and RGB lighting was responsible for my PC randomly hard freezing.

    I was getting really close to replacing my GPU as I had already replaced my PSU since I had no idea what the problem was.

    Time to uninstall this garbage software!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T10:47:19+00:00

    What cooler are you using? I've seen on some forums that its seems to be NZXT Cam causing the issues. I will uninstall mine and see if it resolves the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-10T17:42:38+00:00

    Hi, did you manage to find a solution, the same thing happens to me.

    I kept my task manager open and noticed that when this happens, the readouts mess up, they show -1% usage on the GPU and 0% on all hard drives, my commander pro stops interfacing with the iCUE software, I lose internet access and any video I was playing stops, Wallpaper engine also stops working.

    I wanted to know if you found a solution.

    Im not sure if this matters but my GPU is connected via a Gen 3 Riser cable, although from the looks of this thread it seems most likely windows is the issue so im not sure if its hardware or software related so I wanted to know if you've made any progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,510 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-12-05T19:04:13+00:00

    Thanks this is now clear, you need to restore default power configuration so that we can ensure that PC will run after idle

    Restore default power options

    -Press Windows key + R then type:

    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

    -Restart PC and check.

    Let me know what happened and make sure you have done all the steps above.

    If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

    Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

    1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
    2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
    4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
    5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

    Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    Note: if you receive error: “This Pc can’t be upgrade, follow the steps below”

    Method 1. Go to C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther then delete the file name compatscancache.dat

    Then try again or reboot the PC first then try again.

    You might not see the folder as it is hidden, make sure to show hidden files first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments