PC freezes after being left idle for a few hours

Anonymous
2020-12-05T05:23:57+00:00

Hi all, my computer has been 'freezing' after bring left idle ever since i updated to Windows Version 20H2. Actually it might not even be the update but I'm not quite sure what is the issue here also :(

Here's what happened:

  • Left computer on overnight, with google chrome and telegram messenger minimized
  • In the morning, opened up chrome (at the YouTube page since last night), clicking on buttons on the website doesn't do anything. The start button still works, but clicking on any apps wont do anything. Also, I've realized that the telegram animated stickers previews are now all not moving anymore, and so did my animated wallpaper.
  • Used my phone to try to connect to my computer via Google remote desktop, says my computer is offline??

I'm using a custom build PC, bought it not too long ago on 11 June 2020, so I doubt there should be any hardware issues?

Did a full restore on 3 Nov 2020, but it still freezes after leaving it idle for a few hours.

Here are my PC specs:

r7 3700x

msi x570 tomahawk WIFI

gskill trident z neo 3600mhz 32gb kit

samsung 970evo plus 500gb nvme m.2

toshiba p300 2tb 7200rpm

msi rtx2060 super 8gb gaming x 

seasonic focus+ gx 750w 80+ gold

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2020

OS build 19042.630

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-05-23T11:03:39+00:00

Had the exact same symptoms as OP ever since i upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 to a 3700x on a Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Tried pretty much everything the internet suggested although i dont even use Corsair Link or NZXT CAM, i've been using the old Aura Sync to control my RGB. 

For the people still searching for a solution, try to disable Global C-state control in the BIOS: 

I tried that as a last effort before returning the processor back but after1 week of use i have yet to experience a "freeze" with the C-state Control disabled. 

I will report back in case i get another freeze but so far it seemed to solve my "freezing" problem.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-01T21:16:05+00:00

    This has been irritating me for months.

    Perfectly stable PC - works really well but leave it alone for a few hours and it ceases to work correctly. I can open a cmd prompt but it never fully opens. Task Manager appears but doesn't update. Only option is the nuclear "hold the power button" to switch off.

    Disabling the C-State control appears to have resolved.

    I have a Ryzen 7 on am ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F motherboard.

    Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-31T16:29:13+00:00

    I was facing the same problem.
    First I went to the power management and tweaked everything possible. I even updated the bios and every other steps I found online but it didn't work.
    When nothing worked I made a backup and wiped my ssd totally and installed a fresh windows 10 and it also didn't work.
    I replaced my SSD with my friend's SSD and it still didn't work
    Finally one day I forgot to plug in my charger and the laptop sat idle for an hour bam I found the real culprit. I don't know in depth but I switched to a new charger and it was fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-26T13:01:44+00:00

    Having read your post I also uninstalled Corsair Link about two months ago and my computer hasn't frozen since. I'd been suffering them since building this system three years ago.

    Thanks a bunch for the tip & follow-up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T07:44:50+00:00

    I am having the same issue, it's been happening ever since i updated windows and/or graphics drivers (nvidia). I leave the PC on for a while and when i move the mouse to wake the monitor it shows the login screen, i can click to move on to type in my password and then it fully freezes up. I don't have NZXT cam installed and global c-states are disabled... Eventviewer seemed to show issues with the xbox app but since i resolved that it doesn't really show useful errors or warnings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments