Microsoft backup programs, questions....

Anonymous
2020-11-09T20:27:10+00:00

I've been on a quest to find a backup system for Windows that is:

  1. Easy to use visually for folks with vision issues.   That includes me.  :-(
  2. Easy for a newbie to understand by simply reading the information provided on the screen.
  3. All aspects actually work.
  4. Preferably has a free version, for those that cannot afford the prices for the software.  This is especially a problem for vendors who  use the subscription model.

Given the number of 3rd party programs I've tried that don't actually work in all aspects, I've been setting up the Microsoft provided software.

With the exception of File History, which for me, occasionally does not add new files to the History after they are created, I've been happy with the results.

So it's depressing to see MS is deprecating a system that at least works as well for me as most 3rd party candidates I've tried.  FWIW, of the programs I've tried, only one has seemed to work in all cases, but fails miserably for points 1 & 2 above.

That being said, the following questions come to mind:

  1. For those who are part of the Insider program, has there been any discussion regarding the reversal of the decision to deprecate the MS software?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a program or programs that meet the desired needs listed above?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T01:23:04+00:00

    Hi, Martincd

    i have seen lots of issues with backup & restore (windows 7) both in creating images and restoring. this, as you mentioned, has been deprecated and will go at some point.

    The only problem I've ever had has been trying to srite the system image to a disk over 2TB in size in Windows 7.  I've yet to have that issue with Windows 10.  I will note that the backup drives for the mini computers I referenced aren't even 1TB, their use doesn't justify a large drive.

    i use both, file history for quick recovery of erroneously edited or overwritten files and the free macrium reflect for backups.

    I use both File History and Backup and Restore as my "safety" system in case the software being tested becomes "naughty".  <G>

    you can right click on any macrium image and "explore image" this will mount it and give it a drive letter, you can then read it and copy (restore) individual files from the backup using file explorer as if it were a normal HDD.

    I can think of at least one place where that might cause issues, such as restoring an email or newsgroup message that doesn't restore the threading.

    regarding scaling, you are right, unfortunately the text scaling or Ctrl(+&-) does not affect the important options.

    one other thing to try which will allow different scaling for each monitor

    is settings -> system -> display select the monitor by clicking on the box at the top then

    under scale and layout, click advanced scaling settings

    this will allow you to set scaling between 100 and 500% (not recommended) instead of the large steps available in ease of access.

    work your way up slowly to a level that you are comfortable with.

    I've experimented with that too, but it doesn't seem to be anything but a more detailed version of the "normal" magnification settings.  I would also think, but have not confirmed, that maximizing a window may also push the bottom of the window off the bottom of the screen, and may become inaccessible.

    <snip>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T00:18:31+00:00

    (1) If your vision problem is cataracts, try Ctrl+WinKey+C. It will toggle Color Filters on/off. Mine is set simply to "Inverted" at "START, Settings, Ease of Access, Color Filters". It makes a big difference to see white type on black instead of vice versa. Unfortunately, pictures & videos are also inverted. But it's easy enough to just toggle it back when necessary.

    (2) I heard tales of the deprecation of Windows Backup & Restore from back in Win 8.1. But it is still here a ton of versions later in 20H2. I believe the deprecation came & went with Win 8. My Win 8.1 had it, & everyone got it back with Win 10. I will sorely miss it, if indeed it will go again.

    (3) You can retrieve individual files/folders from a Windows image two ways w/o having to restore the entire image. Here is my write-up...

    (a) To backup the entire computer, make a Windows system image backup. It makes a backup of all the Windows partitions required to boot & run Windows:  EFI, MSR, Windows (C:), & Recovery. If you've got additional partition(s), they will also be offered for inclusion. (OK, some very well hidden partitions, like a manufacturer factory reinstall partition, will not be offered to backup). A 2 TB external HDD is large enough to never fill with images. An 8 GB flash drive should be large enough to hold a Recovery drive (used to restore an image).

    I make one after each new OS Build comes in & runs well, & I keep the last three...

    I rename the computername folder which is inside the WindowsImageBackup folder (by appending the OS Build to it) in order to keep them separate & distinct. All three will be offered during the restore process.

    Make it at "START, Settings, Update & Security, Backup, Go to backup & Restore (Win 7), Create a system image". Afterward, make the Repair Disc or (even better) ask Cortana for Recovery Drive to put it on USB. That can be used to do a restore. Then see the following to know how to restore one...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-restore-a-windows-10-system-image-to-an/e20992ca-5641-4f7c-bb09-3895d0732162

    How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

    https://www.winhelp.us/restore-a-system-image-in-windows-7.html

    Restore a System Image Backup in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10

    Note: That is an informative 3rd-party site, but I know nothing (good or bad) about any downloads or links that are there (or anywhere else).

    If your external hard drive (or the internal one I guess) is a Seagate or Maxtor, there will be a free version of Acronis True Image at their site. Seagate calls it DiscWizard. Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper & others also offer free versions of their image makers. These 3rd-party apps are quicker, make more compact images, & are more flexible in use. But the Windows version works in under 15 minutes on my small & uncomplicated system. I must add, DiscWizard's Bootable Media (to restore an image when Windows won't boot) requires a Mouse to operate. Plug one in, & it is instantly recognized.

    (b) The Windows partition (C:) that is in the image can be mounted & individual files copied off it. I did that once to recover just my Downloads folder which I had inadvertently wiped. To do so, double-click the largest .vhdx in the backup folder in File Explorer...

    That will be the image of the C: partition. It will get a letter (say, E:) & open in a 2nd instance of File Explorer. You may put it side by side with the 1st instance. Then browse to your files & copy them from E: to C:. (But I wouldn't try the reverse.) When done, right-click E:, & select "Eject".

    [But I must add, the first time you double-click a .vhdx, it may give an error message. So, just OK the error, & open Disk Management. The mounted image will have the same name C: has, but no letter. Put a letter on it, & it will show up in File Explorer.]

    (c) You actually don't even have to mount the image to recover files off it. And the external HDD that holds the image doesn't even need to be plugged in. A shadow copy is made to some secret area on the internal HDD each time an image is made. They can be accessed in File Explorer. Just right-click C:, & select "Restore previous versions". Then select the image you want by date, & click "Open". A 2nd instance of File Explorer (the 1st instance is behind it) opens with C: the way it was when the image was made. You may now copy individual files & folders. When done, just close the 2nd instance. (I haven't dared try copying files ontothe image. I just copy them off.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Martmcd 19,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-11-09T23:29:30+00:00

    i have seen lots of issues with backup & restore (windows 7) both in creating images and restoring. this, as you mentioned, has been deprecated and will go at some point.

    it is unclear what (if anything) will happen with file history.

    i use both, file history for quick recovery of erroneously edited or overwritten files and the free macrium reflect for backups.

    you can right click on any macrium image and "explore image" this will mount it and give it a drive letter, you can then read it and copy (restore) individual files from the backup using file explorer as if it were a normal HDD.

    regarding scaling, you are right, unfortunately the text scaling or Ctrl(+&-) does not affect the important options.

    one other thing to try which will allow different scaling for each monitor

    is settings -> system -> display select the monitor by clicking on the box at the top then

    under scale and layout, click advanced scaling settings

    this will allow you to set scaling between 100 and 500% (not recommended) instead of the large steps available in ease of access.

    work your way up slowly to a level that you are comfortable with.

    i agree that the easiest way is to alter the screen resolution.

    if you have suggestions that would improve things for users with sight difficulties you can pass these to the development team using the feedback hub (winkey+F)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-09T22:04:41+00:00

    Hi, Martincd.

    Hi snowshed

    1. I haven't seen any mention of a replacement for windows image backup.

    you can make the suggestion to the development team using the feedback hub (winkey+F), if enough users ask they may have a change of heart.

    you can use the share option in the feedback hub to create a link that you can post here so that others may find and comment on it.

    I will definitely consider this.

    FWIW, I have a couple  of mini systems I use for testing software, rather than use my main Windows system.  On these systems, I use Backup and Restore in case something gets scrambled.  It has yet to fail me.  It's also simple to explain to newbies.

    1. in my opinion (although others may have a different view) the free version of Macrium reflect meets the following

    point 4, it is free

    point 3. there was a problem with task scheduler and reflect that resulted in the scheduled backups running twice - this has been fixed. i have not experienced any issues with backup or restore.

    point 2. easy to create a backup manually and with very little reading and setup schedules are not difficult.

    manually - tick the box to the left of the drive, click on "image this disk" just below the drive.

    point 1. difficult to answer. with windows screen scaling it is possible to make things larger. the amount of info on display depends on how many disks, or partitions you have in the device.

    I use the Pro (paid  for <G>) version on my main Windows system.  Works very well.  And quite often gets bug fixes.  Windows backup is still easier to figure out for a newbie, by far.

    But IIRC, the free version does not allow recovering individual files that you can do with File History.

    Regarding scaling, lots of programs do not adequately respond to most scaling options, IMO. The familiar CTRL (+ or -) does not affect ribbons, tool tips, etc.

    That portion of a Macrium screen you were describing is not affected by these keys.  The text scaling feature in Settings>Ease  of Access also has no effect.

    Magnifier works, sort of, but depending on the  setting, can be a PITA.  If you have full screen, where the desktop moves around the monitor screen because the magnified screen does not fit the monitor screen, is a royal PITA as parts of the desktop or whatever are off the screen.  I find it amusing to see this feature, as I had the same capability on a Windows for Workgroups system.  Then, the feature was provided by the graphics card, and was called a  Virtual Desktop.  Didn't like having to remember where everything was in every program.

    Then you have the long available magnification settings of 100%, 125%, 150%, etc.   The problem here is, some programs these days will pop up a message that has the buttons you need to click on at the bottom of the message.  But those buttons are at the bottom of the message, and you can't scroll to reach them.

    The only reliable, across the board scaling option that I've found and that actually works is to lower the screen  resolution.  My 2 main monitors have a native resolution of 1920 X 1200.  On one computer, the  screen resolution is set to 1680 X 1050.  The other is 1600 X 1000.  The reason for the difference here is, one is Windows, the other is Mac.

    Another utility I use for vision issues is WinAero Tweaker.  It can add some features that MS has removed over the years by taking away an option for the average user to adjust one way or another.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Martmcd 19,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-11-09T20:48:16+00:00

    Hi snowshed

    1. I haven't seen any mention of a replacement for windows image backup.

    you can make the suggestion to the development team using the feedback hub (winkey+F), if enough users ask they may have a change of heart.

    you can use the share option in the feedback hub to create a link that you can post here so that others may find and comment on it.

    1. in my opinion (although others may have a different view) the free version of Macrium reflect meets the following

    point 4, it is free

    point 3. there was a problem with task scheduler and reflect that resulted in the scheduled backups running twice - this has been fixed. i have not experienced any issues with backup or restore.

    point 2. easy to create a backup manually and with very little reading and setup schedules are not difficult.

    manually - tick the box to the left of the drive, click on "image this disk" just below the drive.

    point 1. difficult to answer. with windows screen scaling it is possible to make things larger. the amount of info on display depends on how many disks, or partitions you have in the device.

    the free version can be downloaded from https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

    have a look at the user guide for more instructions.

    https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7...

    and/or the quick start guide

    https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/...

    i hope that helps, please let me know if you need more info

    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments