Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode, crashing video driver.

Anonymous
2020-10-23T18:27:18+00:00

@Microsoft / @Support  --  I am writing this complaint and solution to help others, but also to inform MS of a major problem with a basic Windows setting that was fairly difficult to fix.  If someone can help make sure that the correct eyes at Microsoft see this, that would be excellent.  Please forgive my unfamiliarity with syntax and which handles would be appropriate for getting the correct attention in these forums.  I'm posting this as a question in a further effort to get the correct eyes on it, but I have a working, but suboptimal solution at the bottom of this post. 

Dear Microsoft:

If the 3d display mode option is set to on in an unsupported display resolution, Windows should revert it to off or shouldn't attempt to actually enable it in said unsupported resolution.  If the option exists for any connected device, Windows should let you turn it off, even when that connected device isn't currently being used as a display.  The option to choose several settings changes before those settings are actually applied was a useful one and the current situation where display settings are changed the instant they're clicked isn't good or helpful.  Additionally, there is a serious problem with inadequate control and Windows being dimwitted about display resolutions, often picking suboptimal refresh rates or opting to scale the display rather than actually change the display resolution. Basically, whoever is most responsible for the display settings window should be given less responsibility and someone better at that job should be put in place to clean up that horrific train wreck. 

The problem at hand:

I accidentally clicked the 3d display mode toggle button in the display settings window while my 3dtv was set to a resolution that Windows considers unsupported for 3d. Instead of simply reporting to me that the display mode wasn't compatible, or reverting the option to 'off,' the system cycled display modes a number of times before stopping the driver for my video card.  

Once the video card driver was stopped, windows reverted to its default video driver which would not allow any change to the display resolution and did not allow disabling the "3d display mode" option.  Restarting the video driver (by disabling, then re-enabling the video card in device manager) resulted in the computer immediately cycling display modes again and stopping the video driver again. There was no way to interact with the display settings windows during the brief period the video driver was running. Restarting the computer was obviously no help,  The problematic setting was set and Windows was not going to unset it.

Switching to a non-3D display allowed the video driver to be started and remain active, but as soon as the 3dtv was selected as a display, the computer attempted to go to 3d display mode at the unsupported resolution again and failed in the same manner.

I tried completely uninstalling & reinstalling the video card's drivers and uninstalling & disconnecting display devices. I tried to find any way to change the 3d display mode setting manually (e.g. in regedit)

I tried doing a system restore (system restore failed for no apparent reason despite trying multiple restore points, perhaps due to a recent Windows feature update that didn't save a restore point after completing). 

**NOTE: Don't delete or change registry entries unless you know exactly what you are doing or are prepared to lose everything and do a clean install of Windows**

I tried deleting anything pertaining to the video display mode settings in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GraphicsDrivers (\Configuration in particular)  

Nothing worked to clear the 3d display mode setting and each time I set windows to use the 3dtv as a display, it tried to revert to the incompatible mode and stopped the video driver.

The solution:

**NOTE: Don't delete or change registry entries unless you know exactly what you are doing or are prepared to lose everything and do a clean install of Windows. The following solution could try to force a display into an unsupported display mode.  I believe all displays will cope with this, but there is a tiny possibility that this could ultimately damage a display device.  EDIT: TRY CK88's APPROACH IN THE REPLIES TO THIS POST BEFORE TRYING THIS ONE**

Ultimately, the only thing I was able to do that worked, was to copy display mode settings in the above registry key from a different display set at a different resolution (one that supported 3d display mode on the 3dtv) to overwrite the appropriate registry values for the 3dtv. It may be difficult to ascertain which are the correct registry keys to use if you've had a number of displays and display modes set up on your PC and haven't already cleared out the Configuration key out of desperation. This also relies on you having another available display device that features a resolution that is both a Windows-supported 3d resolution on the 3d display device and has sufficiently similar specific settings (e.g. stride, video standard, Hsyncfreq.Num/Denom, pixelformat, pixelrate) for the edited display mode to function correctly on the 3d display.

Once this was done, the computer was restarted, the 3d mode enabled correctly and I was then able to turn off 3d mode, and choose my preferred resolution again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-07-15T01:13:28+00:00

I found a solution that does not require a registry edit. Steps: 1. connect to a non 3d monitor to install anydesk 2. set it to allow a password for remote access without asking permission. 3. copy the code and use it on another computer to connect to it 4. restart and spam reconnect on 2nd computer until it does. you will have about 20 xeconds before it gives up reconnecting gpu during that time you need to hit windows key and type display settings then hit enter and keep hitting tab until its over resolution then pick an unsupported 3d resolution really fast using arrow keys i picked 1650x1080 after this you can restart again since it probably gave up launching properly and it will start normally at that resolution now you just turn off that toggle for 3d mode and put it back to the proper resolution.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-29T13:32:17+00:00

    I have deleted all in the above mentioned but however the files under Enum are not getting deleted and also display still shows as black. Please suggest what else can do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-26T07:19:56+00:00

    I resolved the same problem as follows, but it is not 

    universal, and relevant only for an Android TV. (My TV is 

    Toshiba 3D, not an Android, but I have started Android TV 9 Pie by Minix Neo T5): 

    You have to download and instalate  https://spacedesk.net/##box_434 from https://spacedesk.net/  instaling 

    accordingly Spacedesk app for Android on TV from 

    Google Play. 
    All is elementry and excellent: the management (e.g. 

    mirorring or extending) is by "Display settings" (double 

    click on the screen of your PC). The User Manual: 
    https://spacedesk.net/user-manual/ .

    I would like to complement that my TV Toshiba 3D is 

    really 3D: nonetheless Windows 10 and Radeon Vega 10 

    did not manage to recognize it as a 3D TV therefore 

    generating further the same problem as discussed on the forum. Furthermore, that solution salts away a HDMI 

    cabel since the SpaceDesk link to yout TV is WiFi 
    (hopefully, fast enough), and consequently rather more 
    remote than the usual 5 meters for a passive HDMI cabel. 
    One more advantage is: the displays assigned by 
    SpaceDesk are not counted as some of those (max 6) 
    external monitors which Radeon Vega 10 is able to serve: so, the monitors by means of SpaceDesk (I don't now howmany maximally) is to be added to those inherrent for the Radeon vidoecard. (Tip: if the screen resolution of the 

    basic screen and TV are different you can choose the sreen resolution of both to be the same at Display Seetings toavoid any deformation on the TV screen; this does not 

    change the resolution of the TV by itself, without the PC.)
    I have also sent a feedback to Windows team: no reaction,whether they are not dead?! ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-08T07:57:13+00:00

    Hi,

    I finally suceed to fix the bug (by myself, shame on you MS !).

    I connected my computer to a Samsung 3D TV, then it started to flickered like hell. I reinstalled my Radeon drivers while connected to the 3D TV and then by miracle the 3D mode screen reapeared in the panel control so that I could turn off this option !

    In conclusion, to fix this MSbug, you need to buy a 3D TV/screen  ;-)

    Hope it could help you...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-31T19:18:20+00:00

    Ck 88, A heartfelt thank you to you and the others but his fix was the easiest. My kids happened quarantining for the last couple weeks so they could have a lan party with their cousins to celebrate New year's Eve. Hopefully a better 2021.I had goofed up the setting trying to get all the graphics cards and programs up and running for them. I wanted everything to be perfect. I had goofed up this setting and couldn't figure out how to fix it. I nearly melted . Thank you for your easy fix you made our night and hopefully a better 2021. Have a great New year. Thank you so much. If you're ever in Minneapolis I owe you a beer

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments