New Media Creation Tool for 2020

Anonymous
2020-10-23T06:51:30+00:00

I began a download for the Windows 10 Installation Media and all proceeded normally. It was about 70% when I checked it last time but when I came in now to look at it, it said something about more spaced needed. 

The usb drive (I'll call it a thumbdrive) has 16 Gigs on it and it warned before I started, all info would be wiped. I'm attempting to make an ISO file so I can use it for an In-place repair should I ever need it, so I clicked on the ISO instead of Flash Drive. Any idea as to why this failed to download to the usb drive properly?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-10-23T14:51:29+00:00

Finished successfully after so many long minutes. The last time around, I made a bootable usb right from the initial usb (ISO) and shall use this ISO perchance I need to do an In-place repair. 

I'm still stuck as to why this failed up the first time. Doesn't the Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB drive to an NTFS? It did the last time and I understood it would do the same this time around but didn't. 

I had to format the USB to the NTFS manually which I found kind of weird. What do you folks think? 

Hi Rubert,

To do a in place repair , you need to extract the iso file in place then access the installation folder then click on the setup installation and keep files and apps then follow the process. Tell me, do you know there are many media creation tool. for windows 10 2004 you mediatool2004 and for windows 10 20h2 you need mediacreationtool20H2. Go for the Mediacreationtool20H2

Leave a feedback

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T06:53:42+00:00

    Could you elaborate on that a little more Linvinciblee? 

    I was trying to update my windows 10 version 2004 to version 20H2. But my update always failed and gives me error code 0x800f081f. I couldn't find why it failed. I read the file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.txt. Nothing.   Yesterday I saw the new media tool  20H2 released by microsoft, I downloaded it. I made my iso that I saved on my desktop then I extracted in place on my desktop then I started the setup in that folder now I'm with windows 10 20H2. It works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T02:58:04+00:00

    Could you elaborate on that a little more Linvinciblee?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T01:18:13+00:00

    Hi All,

    It should not take so long to fix the issue. Are you still discussing on how to make a bootable usb drive. Men, right now microsoft has released the new media tool named mediacreationtool20H2, download it to make your iso on your desktop, then right click on it > click on extract> access the installation folder > click on setup then when ask keep files and apps then follow the process. that it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-23T23:36:15+00:00

    I used Rufus last time about I think when creating the bootable USB from another USB. I say 'think' because it would have been the first and only time I did that, so it's still rather new for me. 

    I could have mounted the ISO from the USB and did created it to another USB from there. Does that sound right to you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments