Murphy is hard at work... making sure that no questions get answered.
I finally was able to get to the win10 computer.
Before I saw your post about the cmd /c net stop FDResPub etc suggestion, I had gone into the Win8.1 computer's network and sharing settings, and turned ON password protected sharing for the public folders but had not had a chance to test
that sitting at the win10 box.
When I got your reply, I went back in and turned OFF password protected sharing on the Win8.1 computer before I made the trek up to the Win10 computer, woke it up from sleep and clicked on the Win8.1 computer's shortcut and it connected immediately.
As posted in the other thread, I don't expect this to last. The varied stories posted seem to indicate that something in the Win10 computer is randomly turning off network access FROM the Win10 computer, then, when any change is made to probably any network
settings, that prompts the Win10 computer to gather itself up and set things up correctly until that random event happens again....
In my case, this change, the SMB change, and a couple of other network tweaks that I have attempted have had the same (temporary) result.
Back to square one and waiting... hopefully able to get some work done in the meantime.
ms doesn't care... they are focused only on cloud computing which will eliminate the messy need for computer to computer communications.
Thanks again,
Beverly Howard