Trying to update to Windows11 22h2 but always fails even when trying to install fresh ISO

Anonymous
2023-02-14T15:21:30+00:00

I've been trying to update to the latest Win11pro 22h2 since last December. Not working well at all. It always gets to 98% and then "something happened" and it rolls it back to 21h2 as you see below. I've tried everything except to nuke the SDD and treat it like is was a new unit. Not really wanting to go that route.

I started just with the Windows update, no joy.

moved to the ISO, mounted and install, no joy.

turned off my Antivirus and tried above two methods again, no joy.

uninstalled my Antivirus and tired above two methods again, no joy.

I've been reading these forums and trying their ideas, no joy.

need a little help here I guess to move forward. I've pasted my machine info below and there are links to SETUPACT.log, SETUPAPI.LOG, and a screen shot of the error after a reboot from trying to install from ISO and it did its automatic roll back.

SETUPACT.log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVcJuecXbkgIqPYG?e=NJ3zEk

SETUPAPI.LOG https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVaWIlWpf14BL4l-?e=PWShbz

screen shot: https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVnCV9ccg2DCKH4d?e=2iqg8J

Device name JOES-DESKTOP-072019

Full device name

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.85 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB

Device ID 0201820E-6Bxx-47E5-9B71-xxxxxxx456F4

Product ID

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 21H2

Installed on ‎1/‎17/‎2022

OS build 22000.1281

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0

Any help is appreciated,

JoeF

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-15T19:37:34+00:00

    It must have been an old copy because there isn't anything newer other than a beta release.

    And here's the link to the 'Autoruns" file:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahWVv5e8L1zC3QlmX?e=FCVxKG

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-15T20:18:48+00:00

    Edit: I have the new one now..

    When you post the setupact.log, look at its properties. That should be an accurate creation date.

    Every time you do an upgrade, the files in the C:$Windows.~BT\ Source\Panther folder should be replaced with the newer version.

    The one below is you last posted version. I don't think the modified date means anything other than it was moved but I will check to see if there are any differences.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-16T16:58:52+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-16T17:42:10+00:00

    Thanks. I looked at the latest setup logs and found these problematic entries:

    2023-02-15 14:10:43, Warning SYSPRP SPPNP: Failed to secure driver file C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\circlass.sys. Err = 0x51B

    2023-02-15 14:10:43, Warning SYSPRP SPPNP: Failed to secure driver file C:\WINDOWS\System32\TsUsbGDCoInstaller.dll. Err = 0x51B

    2023-02-15 14:10:43, Warning SYSPRP SPPNP: Failed to secure driver file C:\WINDOWS\System32\vmbuspipe.dll. Err = 0x51B

    2023-02-15 14:10:43, Warning SYSPRP SPPNP: Failed to secure driver file C:\WINDOWS\System32\WMALFXGFXDSP.dll. Err = 0x51B

    Likewise, the error occurred to the other 140 system files/drivers. I wonder why Sysprep could not access the security information/ownership of those files. It stumps me. If we figure out this mystery, we can resolve the setup error.

    By the way, the error 0x51B ("ERROR_INVALID_OWNER") translates to "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object."

    Can you please try this:

    • Open the Windows\System32 folder, right-click on circlass.sys and click Properties.
    • Select the "Security" tab, and click Advanced.
    • Upload the screenshot of the Advanced Security Settings for circlass.sys file.

    Do the ownership and ACE entries display correctly?

    Clean boot

    Before attempting to rerun Setup, please clean-boot Windows.

    Open MSCONFIG and click on the Services tab.

    Enable the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox.

    Click Disable all,

    Click OK and *restart* Windows.

    (Img: Microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-16T18:21:05+00:00

    Here's the screenshot of the circlass.sys. I'll do the "clean boot" now and report back. You said something about "before I run setup agian"; I'm assuming you want me to try to install the ISO with that statement?

    Image

    After I tried to install the ISO again, I got the BLUE SCREEN and when it finally rebooted....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments