We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

Anonymous
2023-03-23T20:01:10+00:00

When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive.

App comes up no problem but after checking my system for available drives it returns the error
"We can't create the recovery drive" A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

I checked the forum for help and saw a reference to regagentc /info so I ran it and compared to the one posted mine actually had a drive listed. I disconnected the drive and restarted the system; but got the same error and information.

So basically, how can I create a new recovery drive? How would anyone create a new one if say their old one became unusable? There must be some information somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Pamela

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T21:01:01+00:00

Hi, MissPam_Samm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that

2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option

3-Click on Next

4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive

5-Click Next to continue

6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device

7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button

8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner

9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-25T01:06:20+00:00

    Hi, MissPam_Samm,
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

    This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

    1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that
    2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option
    3-Click on Next
    4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive
    5-Click Next to continue
    6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device
    7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button
    8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner
    9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"
    10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

    We are trying to create a recovery drive using a 32gb thumb drive. We were able to use your advice to get it to work with the “Back up system files to the recovery drive” unchecked. It showed the usb drive and went through the process. It showed creating utilities, and a progress bar and ended with a message “The recovery drive is ready”. I pressed the back button until I reached the “Backup System Files” and checked it. I then got the same message as before - “The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB an everything on the drive will be deleted” on a screen asking to Connect a USB flash drive.

    What should I try next? Do I need a 64gb usb drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-04T18:06:08+00:00

    Does not work...It just reverts to the original "A problem occured while created the recovery drive."

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:43:10+00:00

    Yep, same thing here. Did not work. I even followed another suggestion to do a full format of the USB drive instead of a quick format. That didn't help either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-12T11:10:36+00:00

    I find this all the time with Microsoft problems. Supposed solutions seldom work and just lead to more delays and frustration. Why can't Microsoft give a definitive answer to ALL these problems which are by no means rare judging by the number of responses. What I would like to see is just one response where a suggested solution actually works. Anyone? This might give some of us the hop[e that it might work.

    Update same day. Humble apologies to RobinsonSilvestre and many thanks for posting this solution which to my amazement actually worked after over an hour watching the very slow progress bar complete. As I say wouldn't it be nice for Microsoft themselves to include solutions for possible errors that occur which I can't think they're unaware of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments