We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

Anonymous
2023-03-23T20:01:10+00:00

When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive.

App comes up no problem but after checking my system for available drives it returns the error
"We can't create the recovery drive" A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

I checked the forum for help and saw a reference to regagentc /info so I ran it and compared to the one posted mine actually had a drive listed. I disconnected the drive and restarted the system; but got the same error and information.

So basically, how can I create a new recovery drive? How would anyone create a new one if say their old one became unusable? There must be some information somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Pamela

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T21:01:01+00:00

Hi, MissPam_Samm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that

2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option

3-Click on Next

4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive

5-Click Next to continue

6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device

7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button

8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner

9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-08T14:00:32+00:00

    This solution is not working. After getting the message, the backup button is grayed out and not accessible. I checked on the properties of the files and the drive is full, hence creating the failure due to the recovery being over 32 gigs. Why does the program have to format the drive with FAT32 keeping tthe drive size at 32 gigs? Why not NTFS or exFAT? Then there would not be a problem in my opinion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-30T11:13:56+00:00

    Because MS does no real support for his products anymore. They just create a forum and let the common user sort things out by themself.

    I see this on most (computer-related) vendors/company sites.

    Try to find a company where you get a real (employed) customer agent who can help you with the product you bought.

    *good luck*

    I really think about switching to linux. The community is willing AND ABLE to help you, as it is open-source. Another pro is, that the products you get there (most of them for FREE) are not so snoopy and don't "call home" like MS or other closed-source products because they mostly do not "re-use" your data for business (so-called "3rd parties" in the fine prints when you have to click "accept" to use the product you payed for).

    And the products are often better, because the prople behind them like what they do, and use them theirself. Most bad/negative infos on open-source products are "sponsored" by the tec-companies who want to keep you bound (and pay) for their closed-source products.

    Newest example is the "*new* outlook" mail program. It's terrible, but they force it on you (by removing the *old* version completely from the web).

    Or the edge browser, or ..., or ...

    Seems it's a nice business model to make money with the data of your customers.

    for me... it really suxx...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-23T14:56:51+00:00

    For me, even step 4- (after I unchecked to backyp system files) does not work. The "next" is gray out, saying I need at least 32 gig available on my USB drive (which I have a brand new 128 gig I purchased for this - formatted in NTSF).

    I know the system recognize the drive (Windows Explorer show it to me, and if I unpluggued and replug, the backup creation tool will search for a few second then retell me that I need at least 32 gig...)

    Help needed as well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-16T03:46:07+00:00

    This is exactly what is happening to me on my brand new Dell desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments