We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

Anonymous
2023-03-23T20:01:10+00:00

When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive.

App comes up no problem but after checking my system for available drives it returns the error
"We can't create the recovery drive" A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

I checked the forum for help and saw a reference to regagentc /info so I ran it and compared to the one posted mine actually had a drive listed. I disconnected the drive and restarted the system; but got the same error and information.

So basically, how can I create a new recovery drive? How would anyone create a new one if say their old one became unusable? There must be some information somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Pamela

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T21:01:01+00:00

Hi, MissPam_Samm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that

2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option

3-Click on Next

4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive

5-Click Next to continue

6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device

7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button

8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner

9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-26T19:04:43+00:00

    I cannot proceed no matter what I do.

    There is a comment posted here that is exactly my problem:

    "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC

    Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start, use your Windows installation disc or media."

    The problem I am trying to fix is my wife's Surface Pro X will no longer boot - I get a blue screen, then it wants a bit locker key which I never setup. I also purchased a 4 year support contract, but I can't get any Microsoft support, because the Surface Pro X won't boot up.

    I've downloaded the recovery drive using my brand and serial number but when I attempt to create the boot recovery drive I get the above error. I am attempting to do this on a Windows 10 desktop, as the Surface Pro X is the only Windows 11 OS I have available to me.

    How can I create the bootable recovery drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-06T23:56:27+00:00

    "I really think about switching to linux."

    LOL - that's such a common response. You want to spend a lot of time farting around with a system instead of using your computer for production? Go ahead and switch. See if the grass is greener on the other side.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-06T23:50:54+00:00

    Thanks for your help with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-01T20:23:23+00:00

    Thank you for those step by step instructions. It is creating my recovery drive right now. I was very frustrated until I read your steps. I appreciate your help very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments