We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

Anonymous
2023-03-23T20:01:10+00:00

When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive.

App comes up no problem but after checking my system for available drives it returns the error
"We can't create the recovery drive" A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

I checked the forum for help and saw a reference to regagentc /info so I ran it and compared to the one posted mine actually had a drive listed. I disconnected the drive and restarted the system; but got the same error and information.

So basically, how can I create a new recovery drive? How would anyone create a new one if say their old one became unusable? There must be some information somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Pamela

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T21:01:01+00:00

Hi, MissPam_Samm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that

2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option

3-Click on Next

4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive

5-Click Next to continue

6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device

7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button

8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner

9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T00:25:46+00:00

    One of the problems is that USB drive automatically gets partitioned and formatted by the Create Recovery Disk program itself with a 32GB FAT partition. It will accept a larger capacity USB drive, even one already set up with a bigger FAT partition. Doesn't help, as the result will still be a new 32GB FAT32 partition to hold all the system files.

    As an experiment, I deleted folders and files as I was able on the USB as the Create Recovery Disk program added them. Doing so let the program copy another 3-4Gb file. I found some of the biggest files could not be deleted without ending the process, as they remained open files while the program ran. Looked like it was trying to get at least 36Gb of files on its autogenerated 32Gb partition. So of course if failed to complete. The last 3-4Gb file it was copying when the USB drive partition ran out of room ended up on the USB as a file of 0 bytes,

    I understand the total file size of system files copied may vary with computer manufacturer. It probably varies with the specific flavor of Windows as well.

    It may still be worthwhile for some to make a recovery drive without the "include system files" box checked. It offers a suite of tools on a bootable USB that may help one restore Windows in some situations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:20:14+00:00

    Becasue it kept failing and the 'fix' did nothing, I let it complete without the system files.

    Amazingly it used 31gb on a 32gb usb!!!

    So I tried again, with a 64gb usb and system files enabled.

    It failed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:09:58+00:00

    Recovery used only 18gb of a 32gb usb on my last win11 system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:07:34+00:00

    Windows 11 23H2

    I have 3 new or newly upgraded systems to do. The first was a upgraded HP-Envy, no problem.

    But even followed this list, but still ended up with same error on the Hp-Prodesk.

    Using 32gb PNY usb stick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments