Screen stuck on "Updates are underway. Please keep your computer on."

Reported
Anonymous
2023-03-23T00:54:46+00:00

I really need to fix this problem. I tried using the troubleshooter before restarting but that was stuck too. It said I had to reboot first. How can I fix this issue without destroying or corrupting any important Windows components?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T01:36:00+00:00

Good day! I'm Raniel. I understand your frustration regarding this issue and I'll do my best to help.

If it is still stuck on that screen, perform a hard shutdown (press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until it turns off), disconnect your peripherals, unplug/replug your power cable and turn it back on and see if the updates will install or rollback.

Kindly perform a reset of your windows update components using this reset script (ensure that you are running the command prompt as an administrator). Please refer to this article: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-windows-upd...

Once done, reboot the machine and reinstall the updates.

I also suggest that you refer to the steps on these articles to further troubleshoot the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/troublesh...

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/get-help-...

I hope this helps. Good luck!

________________________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-22T18:18:57+00:00

    Hello user!

    Please note that the "Updates are underway" screen indicates that there is an update ongoing, or a pending install update... Please try to wait for as long as u can and make sure your computer is on a stable nonmetered internet connection.

    You should try to minimize using the hard power off button because if you do and you reboot the computer, as long as the update didn't finish it would sometime try to install again showing that, so let it install once and for all...

    I'll like to hear your feedback on any issues experienced

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-08T18:33:12+00:00

    My screen has been stucked for more than 1 hrs

    Please help me

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-04T11:13:21+00:00

    I keep powering off and it keeps restarting

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-03T10:08:09+00:00

    As long as the circle load er is turning please don't loose hope it will take 1-2 hours atmost 3 hrs

    Mine took 1plus hours

    0 comments No comments