Guide for completely removing McAfee

Anonymous
2023-02-12T06:56:48+00:00

Look no further if you are like me and have been stuck with leftover McAfee processes after running the uninstallers.

There are plenty of guides with canned answers from Microsoft that have done nothing but frustrate you; this is what you need to do.

This is a known solution for Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (Build 22621.1194). This should work on most supported Windows versions since Windows 7 with minor tweaks.

Disclaimer: My professional experience as a SysAdmin dates back to 2010, and my hobbyist experience dates back to 1998. I can only say that the solution below worked for me, and I will not be held liable if you mess up your computer. If you don't have a supplemental subscription Antivirus, I would not recommend removing the extra security.

Things You'll Need

Step 1 - Remove McAfee products from your computer using Windows

  1. Open Settings > Apps > Installed Apps
  2. Search the list for McAfee
  3. Next to each result, click the Elipsis (...) and click Uninstall You can reboot as prompted or reboot after all of them are done. If you run into problems, reboot, then try again.
  4. Feel free to run the MCPR tool; if it succeeds, you are finished; if not, continue to Step 2

Step 2 - Reboot and Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection

  1. Open Settings > System > Recovery
  2. Next to Advanced Startup, click Restart Now
  3. Wait for reboot and select Troubleshoot at the Choose an option page
    At some point, you may be prompted to enter your BitLocker recovery key, be sure to have this on hand
  4. Select Startup Settings
  5. Select Restart (Yeah, this is redundant)
    You may be prompted to enter your BitLocker recovery key again because of the reboot
  6. Select the option that states Disable early launch anti-malware protection. If this option is not available, reboot into Safe Mode instead.
    Windows will start in the selected mode but will start normally when the computer is restarted again.

It would be best if you didn't run any browsers while you have early launch anti-malware protection disabled. Navigating the wrong site could easily hijack your real antivirus and create more significant problems.

Step 3 - Run the MCPR Tool

  1. Pretty straightforward; just run the MCPR tool. It will disable and remove any found McAfee services, prompting a reboot at the end.
  2. Reboot

Step 4 - Remove Dangling Services/Files (If Needed/Optional)

  1. Open Services and check for any McAfee references
  2. If found, open CMD/PowerShell/Windows Terminal as an admin (Right click > run as Admin or Ctrl +Shift + Enter/Click)
  3. Get the service name from Services, Right click and choose Properties and grab the short name. (McAfee Access Protection is mcapexe)
  4. In the terminal window, type sc delete <short_name> (e.g, sc delete mcapexe)
  5. If you run into errors, the product wasn't entirely removed, and you may try Step 2 again.

I can offer assistance if this doesn't work but don't expect a quick or accurate response for your situation. You may have a faster and more accurate response from McAfee Support. 🍻

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-09T04:09:07+00:00

    MCAFEE,

    I HAVE TO SAY THIS I HAVE HAD NUMOROUS PROBLEMS TRY TO REMOVE YOUR SOFTWARE, I THING THAT UPSETS ME IS BEING FORCED TO BUY SOFTWARE THAT I DONT WANT,MOST PEOPLE WILL JUST GIVE UP AND PAY I WILL NOT , i WILL DESTORY THE COMPUTER IF I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE, I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON COMPUTERS FOR NEARLY 30 YEARS AND MOSTLY I CAN FIX THEM, THIS ONE HAS YOUR ANNOYING ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE AND I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET RID OF IT, I FINALLY FOUND WERE THE FILES ARE AND HAVE TRIED TO DELETE THEM AMD ITS NOT WORKING, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULDHELP ME REMOVE IT FROM MY COMPUTER. WHY DOES SOFTWARE MAKERS TRY TO MAKE YOU BUT THERE SOFTWARE ? COMPAINES THAT DO THAT **** ONLY LOOSES MY RESPECT.

    WHAYS IN MY COMPUTER IS NOT A RUGULAR PROGRAM , I THINKS ITS SOMEKIND OF BUNDLED SOFTWARE, i WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP !

    MY EMAIL IS ******@GMAIL.COM\

    MARK

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-28T20:25:40+00:00

    i see the 3 dots... and select uninstall a message pops up asking -do I want to let Mcafee make changes to my computer.

    should i answer yes? if i say no it takes me out of the uninstall .

    Yes, you will want the vendor, McAfee, to make changes to your computer, this is so it can uninstall the application.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T18:20:52+00:00

    I’ve ran this reliably on several different PCs and all were successful. Where did you have problems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T16:18:50+00:00

    The instructions giving in this post don't work, reliably if at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T21:42:55+00:00

    did not work :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments