No audio after latest windows update. How to fix?

Anonymous
2023-03-16T15:16:25+00:00

The update is "2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)" and after I downloaded this update all my audio stopped functioning. Headset, monitor, everything. I have tried so many online suggestions including updating drivers, messing around with settings as per fix tutorial, ran a virus scan just in case but still nothing. Interestingly I found that the NVIDIA audio thing says disconnected. Not sure if that was like that before the update but I doubt it. Again, I tried various fixes including drivers, etc. Did anyone else have this problem and know a fix that actually works cause I am done wasting time on this frankly stupid and irritating problem.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-15T22:56:39+00:00

    I can't just go to Windows 11 jut like that, that is impossible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-15T22:14:28+00:00

    This first happened when I was on Windows 10. It didn't resolve itself when I then moved to Windows 11. Either way...it strikes me as a Microsoft generated issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-15T21:54:28+00:00

    I have Windows 10 and I never mentioned Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-15T18:18:39+00:00

    Looks like Linux will be the final fix because windows can't seem to get their updates in order. No volume after windows 11 update .

    Why does this happen after every update? I have a very new computer build 2024 so it not my hardware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-13T22:15:14+00:00

    The update is "2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)" and after I downloaded this update all my audio stopped functioning. Headset, monitor, everything. I have tried so many online suggestions including updating drivers, messing around with settings as per fix tutorial, ran a virus scan just in case but still nothing. Interestingly I found that the NVIDIA audio thing says disconnected. Not sure if that was like that before the update but I doubt it. Again, I tried various fixes including drivers, etc. Did anyone else have this problem and know a fix that actually works cause I am done wasting time on this frankly stupid and irritating problem.

    Audio issues after a Windows update can be incredibly frustrating, especially when you've already tried so many fixes. Since it seems tied to the update, here are a few steps you can try:

    1. Rollback the Update: Go to Settings > Windows Update > Update History > Uninstall Updates. Look for the KB5023706 update and uninstall it to see if the audio returns.
    2. Reinstall Audio Drivers: Instead of just updating, try uninstalling your audio drivers completely (via Device Manager) and then reinstalling them. This can sometimes clear up conflicts caused by updates.
    3. Check Default Audio Devices: Ensure the correct device is set as default in Sound Settings. Sometimes updates can reset or disconnect audio configurations.
    4. NVIDIA Audio Issue: If the NVIDIA audio is showing as disconnected, try reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers. You can download the latest drivers directly from the NVIDIA website.
    5. Use Troubleshooters: Run the built-in Windows troubleshooter for audio by navigating to Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters.

    For quick fixes or additional audio-related tools, consider trying a TTS app for quick conversion to test if audio playback is functioning through alternate software. Let me know if any of these solutions work for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments