It happened to me also, i did system restore and the audio worked. Then i did the system update after it became obligatory, then i had the issue again.
I need help and suggestions to solve this problem
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
The update is "2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)" and after I downloaded this update all my audio stopped functioning. Headset, monitor, everything. I have tried so many online suggestions including updating drivers, messing around with settings as per fix tutorial, ran a virus scan just in case but still nothing. Interestingly I found that the NVIDIA audio thing says disconnected. Not sure if that was like that before the update but I doubt it. Again, I tried various fixes including drivers, etc. Did anyone else have this problem and know a fix that actually works cause I am done wasting time on this frankly stupid and irritating problem.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It happened to me also, i did system restore and the audio worked. Then i did the system update after it became obligatory, then i had the issue again.
I need help and suggestions to solve this problem
TL:DR: Latest Realtek Audio Universal Service breaks audio services; System restore works.
Local Service account logged on to manage Windows Audio service does not seem to have proper permissions it requires.
Symptoms:
No Sound output devices present after restart.
Offending Driver:
Realtek Audio Universal Service
2023-05-09
1.0.616.0
HWID: SWC\VEN_10EC&SID_0001
Device:
Acer Nitro 5, Nitro AN515-58
OS: Windows 11, 22H2
OS build 22621.1848
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0
Details:
In my case, what breaks my audio is when the Realtek Audio Universal service gets updated.
I saw that happen a few weeks ago - I was able to narrow it down to that driver. The problem since today is that the driver I avoid updating manually is now part of Windows update, which breaks my audio every time.
If your system has been installed for quite some time, the System Restore will work but at the expense of messing system defaults for some reason. If that happens, a workaround is to download a script that fixes some apps but you'll have to manually "fix" other apps by clicking on "Repair" in Settings. Based on what I've seen, there hasn't been any reliable solution to the issue since breaking. If you decide to reinstall Windows 11, just be sure that VMA is disabled (for some laptops) but you'll end up at the same situation every time the Realtek AUS is updated.
Just to add. I've also noticed that the Windows Audio service is in a non-restartable state since the Local Service seems to have lost permissions or that the driver that came with the update or maybe just that specific version has issues (just a guess). I changed it to local System account and having it interact with the desktop but even though that leads to a visible audio icon in the task bar there is no Audio.
Observations:
Audio icon visible when resolving the issues with the Logon Service account from Local Service to Local Systems account - no audio output from any output device.
first i Downloaded the zip file of the audio driver of my laptop(Lenovo ideapad).
I runned the uninstall execution file after extracting the zip file.
Now you will no more see any audio device in the laptop, since it will delete the old version audio driver.
Then i runned the official audio driver setup( downloaded from Lenovo support) and it worked .
After a Windows update to my surface book, I lost all wifi and wireless options, including hotspot. After I share my pain, I do have a solution simpler than anything posted that I have seen. After spending three hours on it myself last weekend, I went to the Best Buy Geek Squad who said check back in 10 minutes. After 15 minutes, I was told they would need two days. They When I picked it up, it still did not work. They sold me wifi adapter for about $40 and sent me on my way. When I got home, the instructions said "download a driver", except I had no way of accessing the internet to download a driver. Back to Best Buy. They substituted a wifi adapter that did not need a driver dowloaded. Back to the house. Indeed, I had internet access thru my wireless system. But, my computer had now audio. Back to the Geek Squad. This time their "best guy worked on it. And now for the solution....
He discovered that the update turned off wifi and audio, and he had to go into BIOS and turn them back on. Then, everything functioned normally. I did not need the wifi adapter (refunded me the money), and I had all audio functions back. So......
Before you try other in depth fixes like reinstalling your Operating System, find the BIOS settings and turn your wifi and audio back on.
Hey Paul!
If you require a workaround, installing default drivers from your device manufacturer works but you'll then have to put Windows Updates on hold.
I've reached out to MS yesterday on my issue and all I had were also workarounds that I have already tried. I am hoping either the team managing Windows Updates reaches out to Realtek to check on the concern or someone informs them.
I posted a question in the Windows 11 thread hoping someone has a resolution to reply with.