Windows Setting crashes on display menu

Anonymous
2023-03-13T08:46:10+00:00

Windows settings are crashing after a minute of two when I leave it open, only when I open the display settings, but only when it's windowed and not on maximized. I close all programs that are involved in that, but it keeps happening. I did a system check, disk check, installed the previous intel graphic driver. It didn't changed anything.

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.900, time stamp: 0x12963a0f
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0xc4d8152c
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b15c
Faulting process ID: 0x0x28E0
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D95527932D213C
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
Report ID: a832f8a6-1929-46ec-abbd-9a4ff62627aa
Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.6.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

I have looked in to drivers that are installed and found this.

DXGKrnl LDDM Graphics Subsystem: Controls the underlying video driver stacks to provide fully-featured display capabilities. (Verified) Microsoft Windows C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys Sat Feb 18 07:04:57 2023

The last timestamp of dxgkrnl.sys was on Sat Feb 18, so it have to be installed later...

This is my iGPU adapter I am using.

Intel® Core™ i5-13600K Processor

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. VARADHARAJAN K 9,726 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-18T12:58:51+00:00

    See the Above picture, which describes the task scheduler application, few tasks are registered , browse to each folder, on the right side if you see any items then delete it.

    Note only a few tasks cannot be deleted because users do not have the permissions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T06:19:22+00:00

    Not sure about this, but I tell it anyway... Sometimes it doesn't crash when I first open the display settings (after that it allways crash), but when I open the HDR it happens for sure. On my first install windows the software told me I could not use HDR, after an update I could use it, and I did. And now I cannot. When I look in to the specs of my screen, I can't find any HDR support for my display. Maybe the change I made is somewhere registered and during the improvement update can't access anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T05:16:12+00:00

    Hello Daen,

    Thank you for updating me with that information. Have you tried doing an In-place upgrade? Please let me know how it goes.

    As an additional step, please try to perform a Clean Boot of Windows

    **Perform a Clean Boot
    Determine whether a background program or a software conflict is causing the issue.

    It's for sure software... I knew that already, but I did a safe boot anyway to make sure and than it doesn't happen then. Than local security authority processes is not filled in under safe boot. So no any misdirection yet.

    Don't know what you mean with an In-place upgrade...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T03:31:12+00:00

    Not sure what task... These are the processes that are concerning me.

    Image

    And a specially the Local Security Authority Process, that contains

    • Credential Manager
    • Security accounts Manager
    • CNG key Isolation

    You could be right, a task is doing this. because it happens after a minute or so after opening settings. I have thought about too, but don't know where to look.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. VARADHARAJAN K 9,726 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-16T17:58:37+00:00

    Also, try to delete or disable tasks registered under the task scheduler application.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments