I'm sorry... I meant that the RAM specs for my system are not exactly 'cutting-edge' or highest performance. Still, even with a 16GB build, if the user's daily workflow maxes out at a significantly smaller amount, the benefits of a reliable/stable RAM disk would still be of benefit. There's a sound reason why so many disk manufacturers place emphasis on cache - reliance on limited, high-speed resources to boost gains will always be of interest.
RAM Disk on Windows 11
Hi, I wanted to create a RAM disk on Windows 11. I found an article for Windows 7 and 10 which has been updated recently:
However, when I tried it on Windows 11, it didn't seem to work properly.
After making changes to the TEMP and TMP environment variables as well as some application specific temp / cache paths to point them towards the RAM disk, everything appeared fine initially. But when running more intensive workloads, I experienced intermittent crashes and eventually a blue screen: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (probably related to the storage driver implementation used by ImDisk).
After reverting the changes I made to the temp / cache directories, removing the RAM disk, and uninstalling ImDisk, everything has been stable again.
My question is: Is there any way to set up a RAM Disk on Windows 11 without compromising system stability?
For my use case, I don't require persistent storage, but it should be auto-mounted on boot.
Thank you, Paul.
PS: Please ignore discussions regarding why someone might need such a setup; each person has their own unique use case which doesn't necessarily apply universally.
PPS: Revisiting this thread after nearly a year reveals that there is no official solution from Microsoft. While there may be paid options available, given the history of free solutions causing issues under load, I am hesitant to invest time and money checking each one individually.
In summary, there seems to be no official or unofficial (but endorsed) solution at present.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2023-06-11T01:12:46+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-12-14T20:00:04+00:00 Capacity = / = doing
Anyone who pays for a high end motherboard and processor can and likely would pay for 128GB cause the price in comparison is little.
1 i9 is usually the same price as 4 x 32GB
the majority of users that bought/built PCs nowadays have around 16GBs of ram, that can be easily inferred from the fact that DDR4 starting size is 4GB per slot, BUT the price of a 8GB slot was very soon nearly the same and most PCs are built for minimal usage like browsing, as happened to every stage of DDR memories, so it can be expect that the 16GB slot will cost nearly the same as the minimum 8GB DDR5, if they don't already do.
But let's stop guessing and get some real data:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/
On processors statistics:
Intel
3.3 Ghz to 3.69 Ghz = 15.11%
3.7 Ghz and above = 2.94%
3.0 Ghz to 3.29 Ghz = 6.62%
AMD
3.3 Ghz to 3.69 Ghz = 13.01%
3.7 Ghz and above = 10.00%
3.0 Ghz to 3.29 Ghz = 6.09%total = 53,77% of the total player base have a processor that can handle 128GB of ram, those are the ones which are mid to high end.
As for ram statistics:
16 GB = 49.88%
32 GB = 22.77%
64 GB = 3.72%
More than 64 GB = 0.30%from this data we can see that the ones at 32 + 64 + More = 25,79% of the total player base are the ones who could possibility benefit from using a ram disk or extra caching.
This isn't proof the market has already 128GB, this is proof that the market could or would use such a thing if it was available, most people have no clue what a ram disk is lawl
It is also valid to point out that we are talking about players, the amount of ram a PC could have for professional use increases by a lot considering that applications like CAD style are already demanding in ram and big projects would benefit a lot.
Another example:
"SOLIDWORKS recommends at least 16 GBs of RAM. TriMech recommends at least 32 GBs of RAM, at least 64 GBs if you are conducting regular FEA and CFD simulations. -
Anonymous
2023-11-22T13:47:50+00:00 German language
Was soll eigentlich inner die Behauptung, nimmt Speicher weg. Fahre auf meinem alten DualCore-Lappy Win7 32Bit und habe da 1 RamDisk von 700MB im nicht benutzen Speicherbereich unterhalb 3GB zum Swappen und Temp. Dort komme ich auf Traumwerte bis 3GB/s und oberhalb von 3GB noch eine 5GB RamDisk mit bis zu 2GB/s. Und wenn ich meinen grossen Rechner anwerfe, 2x Xeon je 10C/20T mit 16x16GB=256Gb, da fahre ich meine ganzen BTSen im Ram mit RamDisk, zumeist unter Linux. Und ich benutze schon seit 45 Jahre für Messlogging und Simulationen jeweils die Ramdisk. Es liegt also wohl an dem jeweiligen Betrachter, warum Er gerne eine RamDisk für Win11 nutzen möchte. Mfg BB
Translated to English language
What is actually supposed to be inside the claim, takes away memory. I drive on my old DualCore-Lappy Win7 32Bit and have 1 RamDisk of 700MB in the unused memory area below 3GB for swapping and temp. There I get dream values up to 3GB/s and above 3GB a 5GB RamDisk with up to 2GB/s. And when I start my big computer, 2x Xeon each 10C/20T with 16x16GB=256Gb, I run all my BTSes in Ram with RamDisk, mostly under Linux. And I've been using it for 45 years.
Moderator note < Translated to English language >
-
Anonymous
2024-03-16T20:26:09+00:00 Just installed ImDiskTk.exe (sha256 a161ff11f982600a0717c9674912fec2282aa6922cc495cc4cddb91e03a5e2b6, imdisk.sys 2021-10-30) on Windows 11 23H2 Home (10.0.22631.3296) and created a RAM disk with defaults. Works perfectly fine.
ImDiskTk-x64.zip (sha256 fd5a32b7b6396ec6b23d6743e375b9d0f6c40c4f1fab166d8e89a870555a4c57, directory ImDiskTk20240210 inside, imdisk.sys 2015-12-15) gave me BSODs about KERNEL HEAP something.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-02T23:11:36+00:00 I used IMDisk on Windows 10, but on Windows 11 it causes BSOD for 1-3 days. I also tried OSFMount and it also causes BSOD :-(
Primary usage is for storing *.obj files when compiling projects on 32Gb workstation and (I don't redirect TMP/TEMP dirs).