Win 10 Pro 22H2, Ethernet upload speed slow, Wireless and Ethernet in safe mode just fine

Anonymous
2023-02-03T04:01:46+00:00

My Win 10 machine has upload speeds under 1Mbps when using an Ethernet connection. Wireless upload speed is 15-20Mbps. Safe mode Etnernet connection is also 15-20Mbps. Here's what I've tried:

Any other ideas?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-27T22:25:47+00:00

    I have the same issue. Tried everything .thanks ,life saved

    Glad this worked for you! The Killer software eventually came back on my PC. Solved that by telling the Killer* services to only start manually, so they never do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-01T03:56:22+00:00

    I downloaded the most recent (as of 3/5/23) Killer drivers Killer-PCIe-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_RWTJJ_WIN_33.22.1182_A50.exe and when I ran it I got 3 choices: modify, repair, remove. I chose the remove and after it finished there was a restart and voila DL and UL speeds were at or above my ISP plan! Yay. The driver was 9.0.0.50 and there was no Killer Performance software. I did set a restore point.

    For grins, I did some more research and somewhere along the line I saw Intel (the new owners of Rivet Killer) articles about the MS Store as a source of drivers and also how to prevent it from updating Killer from the Store. I didn't follow up on those leads. I then ran the Dell download again and let it fully install Killer driver and software. The driver stayed the same but the Killer Performance software was now re-installed. And guess whose UL speeds were less than 1.0 mbps again! I used the right click uninstall the software but it did nothing for the speed problem. I suspect the original problem settings of the software were left behind somewhere and the uninstall was far short of a cleaning.

    I re-ran the Dell download as before, did a removal and everything was once again running at top speeds. At no time in all of this did I try the settings for Killer Prioritization Engine or anything else. The Killer Performance software is less than intuitive to say the least. I never found/read a user guide. Maybe if Killer "comes back" I will pursue that angle.

    Meanwhile I would be also interested to know if there are other network adapter drivers "out there" that would work without the useless bells and whistles of the (ahem) performance software.

    Regards to All

    You should file feedback to Intel since they now own Rivet Network. The Killer performance suite that gets downloaded is no longer compatible with the old Ethernet E2400 adapter it is meant for the Wi-Fi AX1650 and the newer Ethernet E2600.

    When you have the older Ethernet E2400 it ends up adding this bug for the upload speed.

    Image

    To avoid the problem with the E2400 Ethernet, I had to take the 3 actions below.

    1. I turned off Killer Prioritization Engine
    2. I prevent the Killer performance suite from starting by turning it off in the Apps > Startup
    3. I disable the Killer Network Service

    Clearly this is not necessary if you use Wi-Fi instead of the E2400 Ethernet.

    1)

    Image

    2)

    Image

    3)

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-26T10:56:12+00:00

    I have been wrestling with this issue for months! My upload speed (FTTP) on ethernet was a glacial 0.2Mb (>32Mb on WiFi).

    Simply turning the Killer prioritisation Engine slider to 'Off' gave me my 149Mb download speed back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-24T20:55:38+00:00

    Has anybody had luck with uninstalling the Killer software and having your upload speed not decrease? When I uninstall it, my upload speed drops to less than 1Mb.

    Hi, I just had the same upload speed problem, under 1Mb. Has the internet provider here most of the day only to find out at the end that the problem wasn't on the wireless internet connection which is a qualcomm adaptor. So the problem became definitely on Killer ethernet adaptor only. I did install the Killer Intelligence Center ,as it is called now, from intel. The file name is "KillerPerformanceSuite_34.22.1163_Win10-11x64.exe" to install it. I disabled the prioritization engine and ran the speed test and immediately the speed was back to my normal ISP provided speed.

    I looked into my Installed programs in the control panel and saw this " Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD" Publisher " Rivet Networks" Installed on 2/6/2023, version 3.22.1182. I believe this is what may have caused the slow speed problem as it surfaced only recently.

    I'm not sure what initiated this installation, a Windows update or a Dell update. I will not uninstall this to confirm that it is the culprit until I know how to get it to install it again. I try to stay without those updated as long as I can as they are really full of bugs, specially most products from Intel recently.

    For now the speed seems to work.

    MidwestSteve, I am not sure which Killer software you tried to uninstall? The one under programs in windows, or the Killer Intelligence center where the prioritization engine is accessible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-08T16:34:04+00:00

    Interesting. I recently serviced a customers Dell with a similar problem - very slow Internet except in Safe Mode. The culprit was "SmartByte Drivers and Services" a similar piece of junk software pre-installed by Dell (that is ostensibly intended to optimize streaming video).

    Maybe our info will help others running into this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments