Error 0x8007016A: The cloud file provider is not running. OneDrive Access Lost. Cannot open, copy, or move files.

Anonymous
2023-05-22T14:47:06+00:00

I lost access to a OneDrive account. I cannot regain access to that account. Many (or all) of the files for my OneDrive were present on the local PC when access was lost, but they were in the process of being synced with the cloud copy. The files are now marked with a grey X on the file icon. Any effort to move or copy the files gets the Error 0x8007016A error. Any effort to open the files in Word, Excel, Acrobat get error messages that the file can't be opened.

I believe the files are present on the local PC because the filenames have the correct extensions and the file sizes are what you would expect for a full copy.

It appears like all of these files are locked in some kind of "sync" status for OneDrive that makes them unavailable. Is there any way to force a change in that status to unlock them? I don't need the cloud version, the version on the local PC will be fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-09T19:19:14+00:00

    Now that I see what the error code is, I am just here to express my disgust with Microsoft and One Drive. It was great until they changed it to make it the default saving place for everything. It tried uploading my Google Drive and DropBox files, multi gigs each, but mainly it took me a day or so to figure out where my files were. Why is it I open a file on Google Drive and click save and go back to reopen and it is no longer there but in One Drive. I finally copied everything back and signed out of One Drive and had a month of peace. Sadly, I had to log into Microsoft to send an email and damned if my desktop folders are now in One Drive. And since I had logged out of One Drive my desktop files will not open. I must log in to go find them. This is criminal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T20:37:22+00:00

    I could give a crud whether OneDrive is running or not, is or is not syncing, or went out for a $25 dollar mcdonalds meal. The files should first and foremost be on my local drive. The directory shows the files are on my drive, they file size is there, the folder size reflects the files inside, but I cannot open them due to a "syncing" status.

    If I am not able to connect to the internet, am I not able to use my files? I do not have this issue with any other cloud software, this is MS nonsense.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-15T12:06:09+00:00

    I trusted OneDrive and had stored all my important files in it, including my simulations, articles, and research. However, I encountered the error 0x8007016A, leaving me practically unable to access them. Eventually, I managed to regain access by resetting. However, this experience led me to lose trust in OneDrive. Consequently, I no longer backup any files on it and have migrated to Dropbox, which I find more reliable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T14:43:26+00:00

    Hi, I no longer have access to the onedrive that the files i want are located in, however I had them all downloaded to my computer before I lost access. The files are there but when I try to move them I get this error and I also cannot open them, they all have a small brown box icon. This solution doesn't work for me since I can't access the onedrive I cannot turn syncing on. How can I get access to these files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments