Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-04T12:16:10+00:00

    After trying almost every solution that can be found on the internet to fix this issue, I managed to get it working by doing the following:

    1. Connect your WH-1000XM5 with you Windows laptop through bluetooth
    2. Go to "Device Manager" --> "Audio inputs and outputs"

    2.1 Here you will see 3 entries for the WH-1000XM5. You need to disable 2 out of the 3.

    2.2 Disable the entry that has "Hands-Free" in the name by right clicking on it and then select "disable device
    2.3 Do the same for the entry that contains the "location = on WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG". You can see this by double clicking on the entry and checking the location info.

    1. Once these 2 are disabled, I downloaded a app called "FX sound". (here Boost Volume and Sound Quality on Your PC - FxSound). This steamlines your audio input and output through this app.
    2. Once the app is installed, it will run all the input and output audio through this app. Feel free to turn the sound options/presets off if you want by clicking the big "turn off" button in the middle. I'm only using it to streamline the audio input/outputs.

    That's it, now when I join a Teams call, I see a brief error that my headset/input/output device doesn't work (like it usually did) but then the app seems to do it's magic and my mic + sounds from the headset works perfectly and the error message disappears almost instantly.

    I've been testing this now for 2 days (with 2 other colleagues who had the same issue, they have a WH-1000XM4 and WH-1000XM3) and it also works for them.

    Goodluck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-05T17:09:29+00:00

    For me FxSound solution didn't work when headphones weren't detected at all, but I managed to make it work - I've erased all bluetooth related drivers: intel bluetooth drivers, bluetooth LE enumerators, and all others along with devices. I've also removed HID sensor and HID interface device related to headphones, and sound controllers: Intel Smart Sound for Bluetooth and digital microphones.

    After that I've restarted, updated bluetooth driver to newest version (22.240.0.2) and paired headphones. So far, it's working properly without any external applications - WH-1000XM5 headphones are detected and a microphone. Calls working properly on Teams and others, using not headset but headphones with microphone. I hope it will keep working fine now, as last time it also worked for couple of days and then after some time stopped detecting properly.

    I'm not sure if issue was fixed in drivers (a week ago new version was released), or maybe erasing all drivers related to bluetooth and device did the trick. After removing Intel Smart Sound for digital microphones I needed to download and install it from Realtek website, because without it laptop's build-in mic wasn't working.

    Anyway, thanks Johan_S3 for sharing your solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-05T17:27:59+00:00

    Yeah it's definitely something with the drivers /intel chipset. I have been using a USB dongle that has realtek chips etc for about a week... flawless, no issues at all.

    My internal bluetooth in laptop is an Intel chipset, so I disabled that and just using the realtek USB dongle and headphones work fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-15T13:07:57+00:00

    I have been facing the same problem for over 3 months, I feel embarrassed in meetings. I use a DELL XPS 13 9320 with all drivers and Windows 11 updated to today's date, 08/17/2023.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments