Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T10:58:39+00:00

    Still not working for me. I'm using LG Gram 16, tried to uninstall bluetooth drivers, disable automatic download for Windows and install it through LG Update - it downloaded 20.150.0.6 version so the older one, which after uninstalling headphones and pairing again changed behaviour - now, sometimes it says it's connected but no microphone or headphones are detected, and sometimes hands-free headset is detected only, so microphone is working but sound is very poor.

    After that, I firstly downloaded and installed 20.160.0.4 version, and now I've installed 22.230.0.2 version, so the newest one. The behaviour didn't change, so only hands-free headset is detected now without headphones..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T10:29:58+00:00

    I am also getting this... is it an issue with Windows 11? the headphones are excellent on my phone but yeah, just so annoying to get it connected to Windows 11... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... not sure what I do differently when it works 😕

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T11:03:51+00:00

    It looks like it's bluetooth drivers issue on Windows 11. On Windows 10 I have other drivers and it works fine, on Android it also works fine for me. So I hope it will be resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:21:33+00:00

    I also am having this issue. I used to be able to select headset and use the microphone built into the headset. Now that option is not available and I am unable to have Windows 10 even recognize the microphone device in the headset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:36:46+00:00

    One way I found that works... which is annoying but it allows me to use them as a headset (with audio and mic).

    1. Remove the pairing from windows
    2. Disable bluetooth
    3. Re enable bluetooth
    4. Re pair bluetooth

    Then it works fine... just when I pair / switch it back to my phone, then I need to do the same procedure haha

    I will see if using a USB bluetooth dongle will help, apparently it might be something with Intel bluetooth drivers causing weirdness too

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments