Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T10:58:39+00:00

    Still not working for me. I'm using LG Gram 16, tried to uninstall bluetooth drivers, disable automatic download for Windows and install it through LG Update - it downloaded 20.150.0.6 version so the older one, which after uninstalling headphones and pairing again changed behaviour - now, sometimes it says it's connected but no microphone or headphones are detected, and sometimes hands-free headset is detected only, so microphone is working but sound is very poor.

    After that, I firstly downloaded and installed 20.160.0.4 version, and now I've installed 22.230.0.2 version, so the newest one. The behaviour didn't change, so only hands-free headset is detected now without headphones..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T23:24:52+00:00

    Update 7/7/23: After restarting my computer the intermittent functionality below regressed back to consistently not connecting to voice chat. It now shows the original symptoms.

    Original post: I tried the fix you noted above for my Lenovo P1. When I reran Lenovo Vantage (similar to Dell Support Assistant) it surfaced a new Intel Bluetooth driver (22.200.0.2). After downloading and installing that it seems to work better but not 100% of the time:

    • I needed to forget and re-pair my headphones. The driver update alone did not change the behavior.
    • When I connect using the "connect" button on the Windows Bluetooth settings page, it seems to work every time.
    • When I power cycle the headphones, only the "music" functionality reconnects. I need to disconnect and reconnect my headphones using the windows settings page to get it to work again.
    • Windows still says "driver error" every time the headphones disconnect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-04T00:21:53+00:00

    Hi Guys,

    I managed to fix mine by going to my laptop manufacturer website, in my case its https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ph/?app=products and I just input my laptop Service Tag and did an update there (using the recommended option there); it also asks me to install Support Assist something of dell. After downloading the updates, it asks me to restart my laptop for the updates to take effect. And voila, it's working now and hopefully keeps working in the future as well.

    For anyone asking I'm using Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop running Windows 11 Enterprise 22H2 22621.1848

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T17:56:35+00:00

    I'm still having this problem to this day.

    The worst part is that I've spent several hours with Microsoft support and they couldn't help me. We updated drivers, restored the system and tried many other things.

    It's extremelly frustrating not having any help from MS, especially now that other people are reporting the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T17:45:42+00:00

    Exact same issues. Extremally frustrating that when everything works as should and an update renders $400 headphones useless for work calls. I used to be able to select stereo or Headset and now I am unable to select anything other than headphones and the mic no longer works. Sometimes (no explanation) it will work for the start of the call and just stop working mid call (about 5 to 10 minutes in). Now it wont recognize at all. My company administrator controls the drivers and updates so rolling back is not an option. It seems like others are having the same issue all cropping up in the last few months. Please fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments