Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-04T12:16:10+00:00

    After trying almost every solution that can be found on the internet to fix this issue, I managed to get it working by doing the following:

    1. Connect your WH-1000XM5 with you Windows laptop through bluetooth
    2. Go to "Device Manager" --> "Audio inputs and outputs"

    2.1 Here you will see 3 entries for the WH-1000XM5. You need to disable 2 out of the 3.

    2.2 Disable the entry that has "Hands-Free" in the name by right clicking on it and then select "disable device
    2.3 Do the same for the entry that contains the "location = on WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free AG". You can see this by double clicking on the entry and checking the location info.

    1. Once these 2 are disabled, I downloaded a app called "FX sound". (here Boost Volume and Sound Quality on Your PC - FxSound). This steamlines your audio input and output through this app.
    2. Once the app is installed, it will run all the input and output audio through this app. Feel free to turn the sound options/presets off if you want by clicking the big "turn off" button in the middle. I'm only using it to streamline the audio input/outputs.

    That's it, now when I join a Teams call, I see a brief error that my headset/input/output device doesn't work (like it usually did) but then the app seems to do it's magic and my mic + sounds from the headset works perfectly and the error message disappears almost instantly.

    I've been testing this now for 2 days (with 2 other colleagues who had the same issue, they have a WH-1000XM4 and WH-1000XM3) and it also works for them.

    Goodluck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:36:46+00:00

    One way I found that works... which is annoying but it allows me to use them as a headset (with audio and mic).

    1. Remove the pairing from windows
    2. Disable bluetooth
    3. Re enable bluetooth
    4. Re pair bluetooth

    Then it works fine... just when I pair / switch it back to my phone, then I need to do the same procedure haha

    I will see if using a USB bluetooth dongle will help, apparently it might be something with Intel bluetooth drivers causing weirdness too

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-27T20:21:33+00:00

    I also am having this issue. I used to be able to select headset and use the microphone built into the headset. Now that option is not available and I am unable to have Windows 10 even recognize the microphone device in the headset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T11:03:51+00:00

    It looks like it's bluetooth drivers issue on Windows 11. On Windows 10 I have other drivers and it works fine, on Android it also works fine for me. So I hope it will be resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T10:29:58+00:00

    I am also getting this... is it an issue with Windows 11? the headphones are excellent on my phone but yeah, just so annoying to get it connected to Windows 11... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... not sure what I do differently when it works 😕

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments