Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-24T12:19:18+00:00

    What finally worked for me on Windows10 was:

    > Control Panel

    > Hardware and Sound

    > Devices and Printers

    > Right click > Properties on WH-1000XM5

    > Services Tab

    > Turn OFF "handsfree telephony"

    > Apply

    > Turn back ON "handsfree telephony"

    > Apply

    Then in settings > devices > Bluetooth & other devices, I could see the devices changing from "connected music" to "connected voice, music".

    Hope that helps somebody else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-19T01:46:48+00:00

    The latest driver doesn't come down with Windows update, and to install the driver, you'll need to do it through Device Manager and choose the option that lets you pick the right driver by browsing to the driver folder you have downloaded. If any restrictions your IT has set to stop you from doing so, let them do this for you.

    On another note, your microphone issue most probably will come back as soon as your headset goes to standby. It always worked for me after each restart till the first disconnection (due to standby or manually turning it off) and then had to restart my computer if I needed the microphone again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-18T22:02:09+00:00

    I have had difficulty updating to that latest driver, as Windows keeps telling me that the latest driver is already installed. I even tried installing the 8854 in Safe Mode to avoid Driver Enforcement, but I suspect because it is a domain tied computer, that did not work. For the heck of it, I tried deleting the headphone Bluetooth profile, rebooting, and then re- pairing the headphones, and it fixed the problem! I am once again able to use the microphone on my WH-1000XM5 headphones on my Precision 5570 running 22H2 despite being stuck with the 10.29.0.8719 driver on the Intel Smart Sound app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T13:55:07+00:00

    I installed a driver (Intel® Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth® Audio - version 10.29.0.8854) update manually and it worked.

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+Smart+Sound+Technology+for+USB+audio

    Click: Intel(R) Corporation - MEDIA - 10.29.0.8854 Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Servicing Drivers, Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Upgrade & Servicing Drivers Drivers (Sound) 30/03/2023 n/a 101,9 MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T13:51:54+00:00

    I did exactly what you said, and it worked. Thank you very much. To help out, here is the Microsoft page where I downloaded it from. I clicked on:

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+Smart+Sound+Technology+for+USB+audio
    Click:
     Intel(R) Corporation - MEDIA - 10.29.0.8854 Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Servicing Drivers, Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Upgrade & Servicing Drivers Drivers (Sound) 30/03/2023 n/a 101,9 MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments