This is a cool workaround but essentially Microsoft should fix this since it happens after updating to Win11 22H2.
Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2
A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.
A few points to consider:
- Before the update, everything was working as expected
- Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
- I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.
I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.
I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-03-06T15:08:39+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-01-09T16:05:25+00:00 If that can help, I eventually gave up and bought a USB Bluetooth dongle (mainstream brand). Works like a charm since them.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-09T15:11:05+00:00 I still experience the issue despite the drivers being up to date.
The crazy thing is that everything works fine with my old no name earbuds I got for less than 25€.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-17T18:58:45+00:00 Dell Latitude 7530, Windows 11, all latest updates 22H2. I just bought the headphones a few weeks ago, paired and was unable to get any output from mic, even when repairing or turning device on and off.
However, I found a solution that worked for me. I was able to get this working by going to "Sound Settings", then "More Sound Settings". Under the "Recording" tab and setting "Headset WH-1000XM5" as the default device. Despite setting the default device in the windows 11 sound settings, the headset was not selected as default in this recording tab.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-10T17:10:40+00:00 I don't recall installing cab files.
I downloaded the driver for the Bluetooth adapter on this page: https://www.tp-link.com/pt/support/download/ub500/#Driver. And then executed the "setup.exe" file.
But before installing the new adapter, I removed all devices connected via Bluetooth (the xm5, mouse, phone, webcam, etc) in Windows --> Settings --> Bluetooth & other devices.
And then used "Device Manager" just to disable the internal laptop's Bluetooth.
And then, plug the adapter in, install the above driver, and connect your devices to the new Bluetooth, including the xm5.
I know that's really frustrating situation, so I hope this helps.
Thank you