Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-17T18:58:45+00:00

    Dell Latitude 7530, Windows 11, all latest updates 22H2. I just bought the headphones a few weeks ago, paired and was unable to get any output from mic, even when repairing or turning device on and off.

    However, I found a solution that worked for me. I was able to get this working by going to "Sound Settings", then "More Sound Settings". Under the "Recording" tab and setting "Headset WH-1000XM5" as the default device. Despite setting the default device in the windows 11 sound settings, the headset was not selected as default in this recording tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T17:10:40+00:00

    I don't recall installing cab files.

    I downloaded the driver for the Bluetooth adapter on this page: https://www.tp-link.com/pt/support/download/ub500/#Driver. And then executed the "setup.exe" file.

    But before installing the new adapter, I removed all devices connected via Bluetooth (the xm5, mouse, phone, webcam, etc) in Windows --> Settings --> Bluetooth & other devices.

    And then used "Device Manager" just to disable the internal laptop's Bluetooth.

    And then, plug the adapter in, install the above driver, and connect your devices to the new Bluetooth, including the xm5.

    I know that's really frustrating situation, so I hope this helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T16:11:47+00:00

    Hi, thanks for this. I am having the same problem.

    I downloaded the cab files, extracted the files into a folder. But then on Device Manager, when trying to install, it says I have the best version of driver already, it won't detect the newer driver in the folder. Also which device exactly do you update? Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T05:41:33+00:00

    Hello there.

    Could you fix it with a Bluetooth dongle?

    I still have the issue on w10, and as it is the work computer I am not able to do anything on it.

    Would be nice to know if it would work that way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-24T14:23:20+00:00

    UPDATE:

    Perhaps my situation is unique, but after my computer updated several days ago to Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22631.2199), I rolled back the driver on my Intel Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth Audio to a 2022 year version, and then let it automatically update back to 10.29.0.8719, and since then everything has been working as it should. I have rebooted the computer several times and turned off and back on the Sony headphones, and it re-connects each time with both mic and audio. I once again can use the headphones with my Teams soft phone app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments