Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-14T16:34:13+00:00

    I managed to fix this situation.

    I purchased a external USB Bluetooth adapter:

    https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B098K3H92Z/ref=asc\_df\_B098K3H92Z/?tag=ptgogshpadsp-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=634405851560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17525258821984923766&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1011749&hvtargid=pla-1426042416638&psc=1

    Steps:

    1. removed all Bluetooth devices from windows
    2. disabled laptop's internal Bluetooth in device manager
    3. installed the adapter
    4. installed latest Bluetooth driver from tplink
    5. reconnect the sony

    Hope this helps someone else that finds similar situation

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-19T01:46:48+00:00

    The latest driver doesn't come down with Windows update, and to install the driver, you'll need to do it through Device Manager and choose the option that lets you pick the right driver by browsing to the driver folder you have downloaded. If any restrictions your IT has set to stop you from doing so, let them do this for you.

    On another note, your microphone issue most probably will come back as soon as your headset goes to standby. It always worked for me after each restart till the first disconnection (due to standby or manually turning it off) and then had to restart my computer if I needed the microphone again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T10:58:39+00:00

    Still not working for me. I'm using LG Gram 16, tried to uninstall bluetooth drivers, disable automatic download for Windows and install it through LG Update - it downloaded 20.150.0.6 version so the older one, which after uninstalling headphones and pairing again changed behaviour - now, sometimes it says it's connected but no microphone or headphones are detected, and sometimes hands-free headset is detected only, so microphone is working but sound is very poor.

    After that, I firstly downloaded and installed 20.160.0.4 version, and now I've installed 22.230.0.2 version, so the newest one. The behaviour didn't change, so only hands-free headset is detected now without headphones..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T17:56:35+00:00

    I'm still having this problem to this day.

    The worst part is that I've spent several hours with Microsoft support and they couldn't help me. We updated drivers, restored the system and tried many other things.

    It's extremelly frustrating not having any help from MS, especially now that other people are reporting the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T17:43:30+00:00

    I continue with the problem.

    My support has just updated the bluethooth driver of DELL website, but the problem contunues.

    Sometimes work, sometimes not.

    We need help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments