Sony WH-1000XM5 mic stopped working after update to 22H2

Anonymous
2023-05-10T01:18:40+00:00

A few days ago my Windows 11 updated to 22H2 and my Bluetooth Headphones (Sony WH-1000XM5) microphone isn't working anymore.

A few points to consider:

  • Before the update, everything was working as expected
  • Before the update, Windows (and apps like Teams or Discord) would show me 2 devices: Headphones (WH-1000 MX5 Stereo) and Headset (WH-1000XM5 Hands-Free Audio). Now it only shows Headphones (WH-1000 MX5).Note: Only the second option would work to use the microphone
  • I have another computer with Windows 10 installed, and the above scenario applies to it. It shows the two options and the second one works for calls.

I already tried to forget the Bluetooth connection and pair it again.

I'm using Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1635.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T12:40:40+00:00

    Same Issue with DELL Precision 5570 and Sony WH-1000XM5 and also Samsung Galaxy Bud+, only happened after upgrading to Win11 22H2.

    I had to restart my computer for each meeting, and it only would work once per startup per connecting headset. As soon as the headset would go to standby, I had to go for another restart to be able to use the mic again. Downgraded back to 21H2 resolved the issue. Upgraded again to 22H2 and the issue reappeared.

    Resolve (at least for now!):

    The driver version for Intel® Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth® Audio on my computer was "10.29.0.8719". No windows update or update from DELL would show any further updates. I found the next version of this driver (10.29.0.8854)

    on Microsoft website and manually updated the driver and it seems resolved the issue. Can others that have this issue try and confirm if this is the case for them as well?

    I downloaded it from Microsoft (Microsoft Update Catalog). Copy all the files inside the cab into a folder then use device manager to update the driver.

    OMG, Thank you! :) I've been having this issue for a long time. Finally resolved. I did upgrade to the latest driver. I have exactly the same Dell device (5570). My Dell Command tool does not offer it to me so had to do it manually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T13:55:07+00:00

    I installed a driver (Intel® Smart Sound Technology for Bluetooth® Audio - version 10.29.0.8854) update manually and it worked.

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+Smart+Sound+Technology+for+USB+audio

    Click: Intel(R) Corporation - MEDIA - 10.29.0.8854 Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Servicing Drivers, Windows 11 Client, version 22H2 and later, Upgrade & Servicing Drivers Drivers (Sound) 30/03/2023 n/a 101,9 MB

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T10:29:58+00:00

    I am also getting this... is it an issue with Windows 11? the headphones are excellent on my phone but yeah, just so annoying to get it connected to Windows 11... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... not sure what I do differently when it works 😕

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-14T02:02:38+00:00

    I am having the same issue with Dell laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T17:44:23+00:00

    Hi, Merlina. Thanks for your reply.

    I've tried all the options and it still doesn't work.

    1. Audio Troubleshooter didn't find any problems

    1. The latest drivers are installed, according to device manager

    1. I've tried to repair again right now
    2. The option to rollback driver isn't available

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments