Please help with my BSODS. I cannot get away from them!

Anonymous
2023-05-28T15:24:47+00:00

Hi all.

Had this machine for a couple years.

The specs are listed below:

Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 49 °C Matisse 7nm Technology

RAM 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 3600MHz (18-22-22-42)

Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (AM4) 30 °C

Graphics S2719DGF (2560x1440@155Hz) DELL S2721HSX (1080x1920@60Hz) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (Gigabyte) 46 °C

Storage 931GB SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB (SATA (SSD)) 26 °C 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA ) 24 °C 238GB 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD (SATA (SSD)) 40 °C 238GB M Series NVMe SSD 256G

I keep getting random blue screens at random times and I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem. The BSOD I get are:

  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the driver error in stack is "ntoskrnl.exe+44fa00"
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntoskrnl.exe
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bfs.sys

I have had a few BSODS since getting the machine and they're not always the same message though this is the most common.

I have tried the following:

  • Both SFC and Dism commands on the local machine, and on a repair disk (No errors on both)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86 (No errors on both)
  • Reinstalled Windows (Fixed for a short time)
  • Reseated GPU
  • Reseated RAM
  • Updated Drivers
  • Flashed BIOS with newest version (now OOD)
  • Checked Temps
  • Stress tested CPU and GPU.

I have all the latest drivers installed, and I have updated BIOS a few times hoping this would resolve the problem. I have ran SFC and DISM commands, and even re-installed Windows.

I just don't know what could be causing this, and funnily enough it doesn't seem to happen when I game (So far) it only ever happens if I am doing something random, or sometimes it will chain BSOD if it reboots and and I don't straight away start using my machine... like if it's left on the log in screen it would sometimes do it.

But it's perhaps once ever few days, or 3 times a day depending on it's mood.

Please help, I can provide any info necessary.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-19T11:08:43+00:00

    This is how I solved it.

    You just have to delete the bfs.sys file in the windows\system32\drivers section. Its not needed. Consider it as malware - a google search returned no results for "bfs.sys" as a verifiable driver file.

    The difficulty, is that it is protected by the TRUSTED INSTALLER account.

    1. log in as a pc admin, go to bfs.sys location
    2. select properties/security/advanced
    3. Take ownership of the file
    4. Again, select properties/security,
    • grant all rights to the admin account you are using.
    • remove all accounts (especially trusted installer) except the admin account.
    • delete the bfs.sys file.
    1. Restart system.

    If you have an issue with the above, place the drive in another machine, and repeat the process there (that worked for me).

    Hope this helps.

    Regards

    HF

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments