Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming

Anonymous
2023-05-15T05:16:23+00:00

I recently got a new prebuilt PC, and within a week of redownloading all my files and games from my previous PC, the computer continuously freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming. It happens at random times and seems to differ between games. I have done everything I possibly can to remedy this issue, from scanning and repairing drivers, drives, reseating my GPU and RAM, installing HW monitor to ensure my temps are not skyrocketing and the voltage/wattage is sufficient, going into BIOS to make sure nothing is overclocked and the RAM is set to the correct MHz, running the windows memory diagnostic tool, etc. Everything that has been posted on youtube and other forums, I am almost positive I have tried. Absolutely nothing works and no matter what I do, the freezes keep occurring. The strange thing is when my PC becomes unresponsive, I can still hear my friends continuing to talk in discord but they cannot hear me. I am not sure what else to do about this other than to seek help here or to return the PC and just build another one on my own.

Specs:

RTX Nvidia 4090

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k, 3000 Mhz, 24 cores

32.0 GB Kingston 2400 MHz memory DDR4

ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D4

2TB NVme M.2 SSD

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-18T21:06:41+00:00

    Same here,

    Dell XPS 8940, Intel I7-11700 @2.5GHZ, 32GB Corsair RAM, GeForce RTX 3060, Samsung 980PRO SSD. Windows 11 Pro.

    Clean windows install, full reformat C, every hardware and BIOS driver updated manually, from manufacturer, and with 3d party app.

    Running clean stock, or with daily driver software, having random freezing. could be 5 min, could be 5 hours. Gaming, or system at rest. No error logs surrounding the events!! Very frustrating.

    Multiple memory tests, 6 of them back to back, all drive diagnostics are clean.

    Reseated hardware, uninstalled and reinstalled every driver for each component with previous and current versions multiple times.

    I'm losing my mind on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-12T06:30:26+00:00

    Same problem with Windows 11, freezing. Microsoft, What's the fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T20:07:28+00:00

    Same problem for me too... Just upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11 Pro yesterday... Freeze 2 times already... it happens randomly... When freeze, cannot do anything, cannot reset or reboot... Have to turn off switch from the power supply...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T19:25:34+00:00

    Thank you for your reply, Dennis. In my case, the freeze was complete, so no restarting explorer.exe or any other action apart from a hard reset was possible. The culprit was a recently updated Nvidia GPU driver. After I went back to a previous driver, these annoying freezes stopped completely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T15:28:49+00:00

    I'd thought the "New Teams" was my issue but it started up again.

    I updated my video drivers (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti) and it got worse. Uninstalled those drivers and it's gotten a little better. Ran all day yesterday but last night froze up twice and was froze up again when I got up this morning. Beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the new MS updates and my video card.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments