Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?

Anonymous
2023-05-19T12:42:04+00:00

We have a number of users that have had recent updates of KB5026372 and this has seemingly stopped their VPNs from connecting (loses connection instantly as soon as VPN connected, no more internet access), we use L2TP/IPsec with pre shared key. We have troubleshooted this with the network team, but nothing has changed and they are confident its not an issue caused by us. I have uninstalled KB5026372 on my machine, which had the issue also and then VPN works. Issue we have here is that our updates are handled automatically and it will pull down the updates again and install. Only solution is to pause updates for a set period of time in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Has anyone else reported these issues? I have seen a few articles online regarding this and slowness of some VPNs after the update (which i had before it eventually just stopped working), but no solution other than uninstall.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-19T13:20:43+00:00

Hello! My name is Mostafa, and I will try my best to assist you with this so that you find a satisfactory solution.

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Yes, many users have been reports of VPN connection issues after installing KB5026372. The update is causing problems with VPN connections, especially L2TP/IPSec VPNs.

If your updates are handled automatically, and it will pull down the updates again and install, you can pause updates for a set period in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update to pause Windows Update. You can click Pause updates for seven days to block updates for a week; extending this time by clicking again later is possible.

Review the below article.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/05/13/window...

If the above steps do not help, reach out to me, and I will be happy to help and try my best to resolve your issue. Thank you.

Best,

Mostafa

__________________________________________________

Disclaimer - There is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before downloading and installing it.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T16:52:10+00:00

    Thanks,

    I don’t know what specific conditions have to be met for the many posted workarounds/hacks to be successful. I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, and a HP Elitebook 840 Laptop in my household and all running Windows 11 Pro. L2TP VPN worked fine on all of them prior to the Microsoft patches that broke it. I have tried all of the following but nothing has worked so far:

    1. Installed Wireshark and rebooted, tried VPN with both Wireshark running and not running - VPN problems remain.
    2. Uninstalled Wireshark, rebooted, installed Glasswire, rebooted, and tried VPN - VPN problems remain.
    3. Tried a USB to Ethernet wired connection on all 3 laptops by disabling wifi - VPN problems remain.
    4. Tried Microsoft Dock 2 with both Surface devices using wired Ethernet connection (wifi disabled) - VPN problems remain.
    5. Tried wired connection by disconnecting wifi but keeping it enabled - VPN problems remain.
    6. Tried the Routing and Remote Access service by enabling it and starting it manually, automatically, delayed start, and multiple reboots - VPN problems remain.
    7. Wiped clean both Microsoft devices, yesterday, and installed Windows 11 from scratch, updated to the most current patches - VPN problems remain.
    8. Tried all of the suggested workarounds/hacks on the freshly installed devices - VPN problems remain.

    I’m convinced that people who are seeing success with various hacks have something different on their Windows 11 computers that is helping them in this case.

    VPN server works since it still runs the same config as before and all Apple devices connect to it using same L2TP config as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T15:38:35+00:00

    Hello Ryan,

    Thanks for the reply. I have a Microsoft dock and I tried the physical wired connection with no lock. First test I disconnected from wifi and in second test I disabled wifi. In both scenarios, everything worked except the L2TP VPN ☹️

    I've seen it in other threads but have not tried it.

    Installing Glasswire or Wireshark seems to 'fix' the vpn issue whilst installed.

    (Edit:) I used a UGREEN USB to Ethernet adaptor as a workaround, until I found that running the Routing & Remote access service was a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T15:28:51+00:00

    Hello Ryan,

    Thanks for the reply. I have a Microsoft dock and I tried the physical wired connection with no lock. First test I disconnected from wifi and in second test I disabled wifi. In both scenarios, everything worked except the L2TP VPN ☹️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T15:00:42+00:00

    Tried the following on Windows 11 Pro:

    • Enabled - Routing and remote access service
    • Manually started Routing and Remote Access service
    • Tried L2TP VPN client - VPN connects, but the extremely slow performance (practically unusable) remained. Keep in mind that connecting to the same VPN server through Apple MAC (L2TP VPN) client or any apple iOS VPN (L2TP) client works and the speed is as it used to be before the Microsft Patch broke it.
    • Set the Routing and Remote Access service Start to "Automatic" and rebooted the computer.
    • After reboot tried the VPN client. It connects but the same issue remains with the VPN client.
    • Set the Service start to "Delayed Start" and then rebooted the computer.
    • After reboot tried the VPN client. It connects but the same issue remains with the VPN client.

    So in essence, this workaround did not solve my issues.

    I have actually tried re-installing the Windows 11 from scratch and still have the same problems.

    I am very perplexed, to say the least.

    Do you have a USB to Ethernet dongle? I had no issues when using a wired connection instead of wireless. However, it wasn't convenient to use everywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments