How to PERMANENTLY disable Handsfree Telephony for a bluetooth device in Windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-06-15T02:37:19+00:00

I need to disable Handsfree Telephony to make my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones work in MS Teams (as resolved in this thread).

But, the setting keeps being enabled again - possibly during reboot or bluetooth re-connection.

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY disable the setting for this device?

Aside: I'm open to a fix in powershell if anyone knows the API calls for toggling the setting based on BT connection trigger.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T02:44:47+00:00

    hey i have a problem when i press Devices and printers it opens up settings how do i fix this

    right click and click "open in new window"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T12:04:58+00:00

    I'm gonna kiss you on the mouth (consensually)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-25T21:28:10+00:00

    It worked! you are a legend bro, I had been looking for a solution for days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-04T14:06:59+00:00

    Hi. I think i found a real "PERMANENT" solution. I had the same issue and it kept resetting my changes after each restart, thus lacking a permanent solution like most of the repliers. I am aware of both methods to disable handsfree audio as in

    -disabling from sound settings

    -disabling from devices and managers -> device properties -> services

    Both of these methods resulted in resetting after each restart, forcing me to re-do it every time, which is a pain in the a.

    However i think the solution i found is a more permanent fix. Follow these steps

    1- open "Device Manager"

    2- scroll down to "System Devices"

    3- under that tab find your "device name" followed by "Hands-Free AG". Example "soundcore R50i Hands-Free AG"

    4- right click and select "Disable". (Not uninstall or remove, because i suspect it might re-install itself after reconnecting)

    5- finally doht be bothered by this ridicule anymore

    I believe this is a permanent fix, at least more permanent than other methods. You will see your device + handsfree on other tabs aswell but after disabling from system devices they will not appear above in the sound tabs. For me one of my devices handsfree version disappeared from the system devices tab after i rechecked properties from devices and printers. In there they will show a problem with them (yellow triangle with ! inside) but dont be bothered by that. they will work just fine.

    Sorry i cant upload a photo for some reason but i hope i explained it as best as possible and hope it solves everyones issues about this PERMANENTLY.

    Finally we can rest i believe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-26T23:14:15+00:00

    This worked for me! I haven't rebooted again to see if it holds, but this is the solution I've been searching for, which Microsoft won't address officially. Thanks for supporting their product better than they do!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments