How to PERMANENTLY disable Handsfree Telephony for a bluetooth device in Windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-06-15T02:37:19+00:00

I need to disable Handsfree Telephony to make my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones work in MS Teams (as resolved in this thread).

But, the setting keeps being enabled again - possibly during reboot or bluetooth re-connection.

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY disable the setting for this device?

Aside: I'm open to a fix in powershell if anyone knows the API calls for toggling the setting based on BT connection trigger.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T19:52:03+00:00

    right click devices and printers and select "open", i have no clue why they though that was necessary in windows 11 but here we are

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-04T09:55:49+00:00

    for those who are experiencing this but not for xm4's, you need to go to device manager -> audio input and outputs -> find the headphone you want to disable and disable the driver there. for me there wasn't one in the control panel method but disabling it here still allows me to hear without facing the issue. hope this helps some :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-08T07:38:56+00:00

    I am a windows 11 user and I tried but still not working and you made my headphone like fully disabled when I am trying to pair it I cannot even hear

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-11T20:34:01+00:00

    Yes, Thankyou so much. not sure why the option for telephony is there in the first place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-12T14:59:37+00:00

    Microsoft Find a Permanent solution for it because many people do not want it in windows 11 to be automatically enabled nor when you reset your headphone I use a Samsung Level U and I had reset it many times and it automatically gets enabled please fix it as fast as you can

    Thank

    Your Sincere Microsoft User

    Victoryvaish

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments