How to PERMANENTLY disable Handsfree Telephony for a bluetooth device in Windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-06-15T02:37:19+00:00

I need to disable Handsfree Telephony to make my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones work in MS Teams (as resolved in this thread).

But, the setting keeps being enabled again - possibly during reboot or bluetooth re-connection.

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY disable the setting for this device?

Aside: I'm open to a fix in powershell if anyone knows the API calls for toggling the setting based on BT connection trigger.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-04T09:55:49+00:00

    for those who are experiencing this but not for xm4's, you need to go to device manager -> audio input and outputs -> find the headphone you want to disable and disable the driver there. for me there wasn't one in the control panel method but disabling it here still allows me to hear without facing the issue. hope this helps some :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T19:52:03+00:00

    right click devices and printers and select "open", i have no clue why they though that was necessary in windows 11 but here we are

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T18:05:07+00:00

    Not sure if this will help, but for me I was able to permanently disable the handsfree part of my bluetooth headphones by disabling the system device entry for it in the Device Manager->System Devices area on my Windows 11 machine. (Note that the system device is different from the driver and represented by a different icon (for me a computer tower and blue pane monitor):

    Simply right-click and disable:

    I have noticed that this method requires me to have to hit the connect button in Bluetooth & devices -> Devices more often / almost every time I turn my headphones back on, but it has helped me not have to disable the handsfree device every time which I found just a bit more cumbersome. Teams also now picks up the proper device so I don't lose audio.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T08:38:06+00:00

    How do you open the hardware tab?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-12T10:33:03+00:00

    Thank you, kind sir.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments