How to PERMANENTLY disable Handsfree Telephony for a bluetooth device in Windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-06-15T02:37:19+00:00

I need to disable Handsfree Telephony to make my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones work in MS Teams (as resolved in this thread).

But, the setting keeps being enabled again - possibly during reboot or bluetooth re-connection.

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY disable the setting for this device?

Aside: I'm open to a fix in powershell if anyone knows the API calls for toggling the setting based on BT connection trigger.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T12:04:58+00:00

    I'm gonna kiss you on the mouth (consensually)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T02:44:47+00:00

    hey i have a problem when i press Devices and printers it opens up settings how do i fix this

    right click and click "open in new window"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-30T18:01:48+00:00

    Hi,

    I haven't found a way to switch off hands free telephony permanently - no matter what I do, it always turns itself back on.

    Disabling the microphone device in sound control panel does not prevent windows 11 switching to headset mode whenever an application uses a microphone.

    The solution I found was to disable the hands free driver for the device:

    Using the device property page found from "Control panel" -> "Hardware and sound" -> "Devices and printers" go to the hardware page and disable the hands free system device.

    Image

    After this process, even though hands free telephony turns back on, it is unable to select the hands free device and the headphones stay in audio mode, rather than headset mode.

    YOU JUST SAVED MY LIFE, THANKS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-12T05:07:21+00:00

    Thank you so much. This worked for me. I was struggling with this problem for so long! Works like a charm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-11T17:14:11+00:00

    So i did this but now the microphone isn't working anymore?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments