Jake,
Unless you plan to never actually shutdown your LG laptop go ahead if restarting all the time works for you. I would be leary of that, though given my experience.
By the way I had the SAME problem with my LG laptop purchased in 2019 and finally gave up on using the Fingerprint for the PIN instead. When I purchased the current LG laptop in 2023 I had hoped the problem was fixed, but no. When I first tried solving the issue in August 2023 with the current laptop I also tried the 'fix' of just doing a restart and not a shutdown. It worked for a while and then would suddenly go straight to the desktop. As I like to actually do shutdown my laptop, I just went back to shutdown and using a PIN. I have never had it go straight to the desktop using shutdown and a PIN. And I feel safe knowing my laptop is secure.
Note my response to Rob, below.
Jan S~L