You are right, there should be some documentation about this! Almost sent my new LG Gram back to Amazon over this!
Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint
Hello,i
I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.
After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.
In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.
I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.
What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.
My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-05-14T00:33:26+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-09-02T18:50:37+00:00 After reading your post, I decided to register a different finger from the one that I use to power on the system. (I prefer to press the power button with a finger rather than a knuckle). After that, the few times I powered on after shutting down, the system did ask for the fingerprint before opening to the desktop. It seems to have worked for me. Thank you very much.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-02T19:19:23+00:00 I’m glad this helped and appreciate your feedback.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-02T21:47:06+00:00 You're welcome. Thanks and God bless you.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-02T22:51:55+00:00 As the original poster of this question, I am happy that the solution to the problem from myself and Cage0022 has resulted in helping others with this problem.
At this time we are still not sure if this issue only with the LG Gram laptops, so if you are having the issue and you don't own an LG Gram, the following may, or may not, work for you. This issue occurs due to the Power On Button also being the Fingerprint reader.
THE SOLUTION
Remember that the Power On button, is also the 'reader' for Windows Hello Fingerprint. Meaning that when you Power On the LG Gram Laptop, the BIOS will also be 'reading' your fingerprint, at that time. This results in the Laptop powering up, and directly logging into Windows, which can lead you to think that it is by-passing Windows Hello. But, that is not the case.
However, the LG Gram can also at times not go directly to your Windows Desktop. If your finger is too dry, or too wet, it's possible that the Power On button won't get a good scan and you will find instead of your Windows Desktop, you'll land on the page that says it didn't recognize your fingerprint, or to try another finger (because the LG didn't get a good scan).
If you don't want to log directly into the Windows Desktop and want that extra step (where the Laptop asks for your Fingerprint) then simply have two separate fingers entered into Windows Hello. One finger(print) you'll use to Power On the Laptop, and the second Finger(print) to use on the Power On button to enter at the the page that asks for your Fingerprint (make sure you just lightly lay your finger, don't press down or you'll turn off the laptop).
Jan S~L