Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-20T08:30:23+00:00

    Hello Jan,

    Good to see you in Microsoft Community.

    Firstly, could you let me know the specific system version? You can check it by pressing the Win key + R key, and typing "winver", then press Enter, please take a screenshot/photo of it, and only send the relevant information without PII in the next reply.

    Then you may follow the steps below:

    1. Disable and re-enable the fingerprint scanner

    1. Select the search box on the taskbar and type Device Manager and select it in the search results.
    2. In Device Manager, expand Biometric devices, right-click your fingerprint scanner, and select Disable device.
    3. Right-click the scanner again and select Enable device.

    2. Check power management settings

    1. In Device Manager, expand Biometric devices, right-click your fingerprint scanner, and select Properties.
    2. Select the Power Management tab, and uncheck the box, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    3. Then in Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
    4. Select the Power Management tab, and uncheck the box, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

    3. Restart services

    1. Select the search box on the taskbar and type Services and select Services in the search results.
    2. Locate and right-click Credential Manager within the list of services and select Restart.
    3. Then locate and right-click Windows Biometric Service within the list of services and select Restart.

    4. Reset Windows Hello

    • This will completely reset all Windows Hello configurations, before making sure your account password login is normal. Please run Command Prompt as an administrator ("Win" logo key + "Q", enter "cmd", select "Run as administrator"), and enter the following commands one by one.
        net stop WbioSrvc
      
        cd C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase
      
        ren *.DAT *.DAT.BAK
      
        net start WbioSrvc
      

    Additionally, please check if there is any available optional driver update in Windows Settings. Win + I to open Windows Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > View optional updates > driver updates (if there is available).

    If anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

    Best Regards,

    Mosken_L - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-20T10:12:41+00:00

    Hello Mosken,

    Thank you for your reply. I have a few questions/issues about the steps you have provided.

    First, I have Windows 11 Home, version 22H2 Build 22621.2134 (not sure what the 'without Pll' is in your reply).

    1. Completed
    2. Completed, with the exception that in step 3 I had 2 USB Root USB entries. Unchecked the box on both.
    3. Completed, with the exception that in step 3 Windows Biometric Restart is greyed out, only Refresh available, so left it as is.
    4. Win+Q there was no option to "run as Administrator". After entering Win+Q, the Command Prompt box opened and provided the path C:\Users\user name>. I ran the steps and received some responses like "Access is denied" after the "ren *DAT..." However, after the "net stop WbioSrvc" I received "The Windows Biometric Service service was started successfully."

    Finally, no updates available (in previous tries to fix this issue I have already checked for updates, disabled the existing driver and downloaded one from the LG website. Doing this didn't help the issue).

    I was left with the command prompt C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase. You didn't say what to do at this point, and it's been a long time since I've had to use a Command Prompt. I just typed Exit and the box closed...hope that was OK.

    As you haven't provided any other steps, I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I now re-setup the Windows Hello Fingerprint in Settings\Accounts\Sign in Options? If so, it may take a couple days before I'll know if your steps worked. As I mentioned in my initial post, this is an intermittent problem. I didn't say in my initial post that I had already disabled the Fingerprint and have been using just the PIN for the past two days. So far it hasn't been an issue and works each time. It has just been the Fingerprint that works intermittently.

    Please advise what the next step is.

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-21T13:13:20+00:00

    Hello Mosken,

    When I didn't hear back from you I went ahead and re-set my Windows Hello Fingerprint. Three logons (with shutdowns in between) worked perfectly yesterday. But the first logon for today it was back to its old intermittent self to bypass Windows Hello and go straight to the desktop, with no security.

    So, just like all the other 'fixes' I've tried over the past 2+ weeks, your four steps can be added to the list of all the things that don't work for this Windows Hello intermittent bypass and proceed straight to Windows Desktop issue.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-22T02:25:29+00:00

    You can run Command Prompt as administrator by the steps below:

    Additionally, as the feature related your computer hardware, you may update the chipset driver and BIOS firmware. You can go to the official website of your device manufacturer to download the corresponding model driver and install it manually. After the installation is completed, reboot and see if the device works properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-22T13:30:07+00:00

    Mosken,

    Does your last message, the visual portion on the Command Prompt, mean that you think I need to complete step 4 of your original instructions again? And, only step 4?

    As to the second part of your last message re: BIOS firmware: Thank you, but I respectfully have to decline your suggestion concerning the BIOS. Mucking around with the BIOS is way out of my comfort zone, especially without detailed instructions on what I am doing. I would be at a loss at what to do, or where to turn, if something happened and my brand new, expensive laptop became inoperable.

    If you believe that my first run at Step 4 might not have been successful due to the fact I may not have run it as Administrator, given the responses I received, even though when I completed the step the the cmp prompt did say "The Windows Biometric Service service was started successfully", then I will run that step again, when you confirm that is your intention by sending the visual.

    Otherwise at this point, given the fact this is an intermittent problem and not one of Windows Hello simply not working (or having stopped working completely) along with ALL the time I have spent on various 'fixes' that don't fix the problem, I think I just need to resign myself to not being able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint Biometrics. And disable it. Maybe at some point in the future someone will read this post that has experienced the same issue and/or has the solution to this problem.

    Again, let me know if I need to 'redo' step 4. Thank you for your time,Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments