Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T11:56:21+00:00

    correct ...

    Ensure you don't have POWER SAVING on for USB devices.

    When not in use, it cuts power to the USB fingerprint reader.

    e.g. close lid, sleep

    The backup is you use PIN to login.

    dumb programming ...

    HW didn't talk to SW DIVs.

    LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T10:45:23+00:00

    I have the same problem On Win 23H2 (22631.3374) with all optional updates installed.

    Fast Startup is disabled and always has been from when I first setup the laptop a long time ago.

    LG Gram 17ZB90R

    I've had the same issue intermittently. This morning. I powered on laptop and it logged in without my fingerprint or any other authentication. I powered it off. Powered on. Same problem. Repeat 3x. Same problem. Did a restart instead of shutdown then powering back up, solved the issue, but only temporarily as I've had the problem intermittently before as well. Maybe someone will find an answer.

    One thing that temporarily solved the issue - restart instead of powering off and back on. When you power off Windows 11 (and maybe Win 10), it caches some information to make the next startup quicker. To clear out this cache, do a restart. I guess MS assumes if you are restarting your computer, you might be having an issue and flushes all info and does not use the caching feature. I usually leave my laptop on at all times and just do a daily restart. But since reading the original poster's issue, I think that for me, the problem may only present only when when powering up from a power off state, and even at that, the problem doesn't present itself all the time. Hope this last bit helps someone deal with the issue, and maybe also helps someone solve the issue.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T10:38:58+00:00

    I too have the same issue as the original poster. But I don't understand your reply.

    was power issue @ USBs ...

    meaning close labtop ...

    cuts power 2 Hello ...

    Are you saying the closing the laptop lid cuts power to Hello?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-02T22:55:43+00:00

    had same issue ...

    was power issue @ USBs ...

    meaning close labtop ...

    cuts power 2 Hello ...

    stupid programming ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more