Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T00:43:45+00:00

    I saw this posting (link below) and decided to do a test. Is it possible that pressing the power button also has BIOS/UEFI also read the fingerprint and that's why it's logging in "automatically?"

    https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/yxtjcv/thinkpad_t14s_gen_3_automatically_logon_on/?rdt=49089

    So I tried a test. I booted up from power off by pressing the power button with my knuckle - i.e., definitely not my fingerprint. The laptop booted from off, but would not login. I powered the laptop off and repeated the process a few times. Every time I powered on with my knuckle, the laptop would not auto-login. When I did use my real fingerprint - it did login. I only tested a few times, but, could this be the solution? Anyone else want to test and let us know?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-31T21:45:05+00:00

    Acer Swift ...

    Ensure that the driver is functional.

    It was removing mine.

    not anymore ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-31T21:38:25+00:00

    Anyone viewing this thread having this problem with anything other than an LG Gram laptop?

    (Mine is an LG Gram 17ZB90R)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-31T21:23:43+00:00

    Rob,

    Yes I do have one external device, a wireless mouse, attached. However, that is not a problem. In my initial troubles with Fingerprint on the LG Gram I bought back in 2019 one of the 'fixes' was to disconnect my wireless mouse in case it was causing a problem. I did that, again, with the LG Gram I bought last year. In both cases, disconnecting the wireless mouse didn't make any difference whatsoever.

    I believe the real key here is intermittent...Windows Hello Fingerprint works sometimes, and not others. I would think that any external USB, as pointed out in the articles you provided a link to, would cause a problem all the time. Correct me, if I'm wrong in that assumption. Someone with more knowledge of the workings of the software and hardware might me able to narrow down the problem due to the fact that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

    It would be interesting to know if the only people having this issue of intermittently bypassing Windows Hello Fingerprint were the owners of LG Gram laptops. It seems from my review of these latest entries that at least two others state they are LG owners. That would narrow it down to a potential LG issue and not Microsoft. But, until others chime in that are not LG Gram owners, there is no way to know.

    Thank you though, Rob, for taking the time to write a very detailed and comprehensive possible solution.

    Jan S~L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-31T21:20:24+00:00

    I've had the issue only when going from powered off to an on state, never during a restart. As for USB devices being connected - no, it's very rare that I have a USB device connected. If so, just I just briefly connect a Logitech webcam for a conference call or a Kingston USB flash drive to run a script I have that backs up my data to the USB drive. In both cases, once I'm done with the USB device, I disconnect it.

    Three things that may help but definitely not solve:

    1. Device Manager - turn off power management for USB devices
    2. Turn off Fast Startup under Control Panels > Power > Edit Power Plan
    3. Restart instead of shutdown

    I've always done the last 2 and I'm trying out option 1 to see if the times when I do shutdown, if that setting along with number 2 and 3 solves anything. Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments