Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:14:50+00:00

    TheManiac,

    The LG Gram doesn't really allow the same finger to be scanned more than once. It won't go all the way to complete before it says, use another finger, or this finger has already been scanned. You have to do several fingers only once. I posted the solution to the issue in this thread in my response to Cage0022.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:12:02+00:00

    Cage0022,

    I am cautiously hopeful that you stumbled onto the SOLUTION for intermittently bypassing Windows Hello Biometrics Fingerprint (as only more time will tell for sure). I've been testing your statement for the past two days "Is it possible that pressing the power button also has BIOS/UFEI also read the Fingerprint, and that's why it's logging in automatically?"

    After thinking about your question, and reviewing the link you provided, I got to thinking that this makes perfect sense. I've always thought there had to be something everyone else with solutions was missing...and the intermittent thing always bugged me. So, YES, I believe that after 12 Shutdowns, several restarts and returns from sleep the Fingerprint is now working and never once has it gone directly to the desktop during the trials. A few times it wouldn't accept the Fingerprint and after two tries required the PIN (but I also solved that).

    The SOLUTION is this: When you set up your Fingerprints in Windows Hello, at least on the LG Gram or any other laptop that uses the Power On Button as the Fingerprint Scanner, DO NOT register any finger that you will use to actually Power On the laptop. Yes, it's that simple. This is something nobody had mentioned in anything I've read or even in this thread, that is until you Cage0022, posed the question. Once I removed all my stored Fingerprints and redid prints for only those fingers I will never use to Power On the laptop...the intermittent bypass of Windows Hello stopped. As to being required to enter the PIN after just two tries with the Fingerprint, that is solved by making sure you place your (stored) finger solidly in the center of the Fingerprint/Power On key and not move it. I found that I was actually swiping the key a bit when trying to unlock.

    Thank you again Cage0022 for posing the question. Right now, I'm a happy camper. ;-)

    Jan S~L

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T17:03:34+00:00

    Quite welcome.

    Fingerprint login from power on doesn't always work - but that's fine with me. Almost prefer that that method didn't work - as I might power on my laptop and walk away for a moment - potentially leaving it unsecure. BUT, if I can confirm that this is what's at the root of our issue, at least I'll know that if I'm powering on my laptop where there's others around (i.e., not at home), to press the power button with an 'unprinted' finger. Look forward to your testing results and anyone else that wants to test this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T14:40:24+00:00

    Are there two+ sets of prints?

    e.g. per event

    Try wiping out all & rescan.

    e.g. different angles with same finger to simulate reality

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T14:16:06+00:00

    Cage0022,

    I will certainly give this a try for a few days.

    However, due to the important word "Intermittently" in my very first post I'm doubtful, but still hopeful, that it will work for my issue. I guess it is possible that due to the fact that Windows Hello Fingerprint works as it should sometimes, and doesn't others (on shutdown) the BIOS could be reading the Fingerprint correctly at the time the power button is pressed on the times it goes directly to the desktop, and not correctly when the power button is pressed when it asks for the Fingerprint.

    The other problem is that it also doesn't work properly (sometimes) on restart, either. Meaning, on restart it should ALWAYS ask for the Fingerprint as the computer is already powered on.

    I'll let you know in a couple of days after I've been able to do some testing.

    Thanks for taking the time to scope out another possible solution!

    Jan S~L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments