Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-23T02:58:24+00:00

    Mosken,

    Thank you.

    I will re-do Step 4 tomorrow using the Administrator Command Prompt you provided.

    The Fingerprint driver update is something I've already done in the many things I tried before contacting you. It didn't help.

    I will let you know the outcome of the re-do of Step 4. If all goes well, I'll let you know in a week if things are fixed, earlier if not. (The problem occurs after about ever 4-5 sign ons.)

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-23T02:39:29+00:00

    Yes, you can re-run the entire step 4. Even if you see partial commands executed successfully, the core of step 4 is the third command, and it indeed requires administrator privileges.

    If you're concerned about updating the BIOS having risks, perhaps you can update your Fingerprint driver instead. Refer to the operating guide provided by your device manufacturer for specific instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-22T02:25:29+00:00

    You can run Command Prompt as administrator by the steps below:

    Additionally, as the feature related your computer hardware, you may update the chipset driver and BIOS firmware. You can go to the official website of your device manufacturer to download the corresponding model driver and install it manually. After the installation is completed, reboot and see if the device works properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-21T13:13:20+00:00

    Hello Mosken,

    When I didn't hear back from you I went ahead and re-set my Windows Hello Fingerprint. Three logons (with shutdowns in between) worked perfectly yesterday. But the first logon for today it was back to its old intermittent self to bypass Windows Hello and go straight to the desktop, with no security.

    So, just like all the other 'fixes' I've tried over the past 2+ weeks, your four steps can be added to the list of all the things that don't work for this Windows Hello intermittent bypass and proceed straight to Windows Desktop issue.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-20T10:12:41+00:00

    Hello Mosken,

    Thank you for your reply. I have a few questions/issues about the steps you have provided.

    First, I have Windows 11 Home, version 22H2 Build 22621.2134 (not sure what the 'without Pll' is in your reply).

    1. Completed
    2. Completed, with the exception that in step 3 I had 2 USB Root USB entries. Unchecked the box on both.
    3. Completed, with the exception that in step 3 Windows Biometric Restart is greyed out, only Refresh available, so left it as is.
    4. Win+Q there was no option to "run as Administrator". After entering Win+Q, the Command Prompt box opened and provided the path C:\Users\user name>. I ran the steps and received some responses like "Access is denied" after the "ren *DAT..." However, after the "net stop WbioSrvc" I received "The Windows Biometric Service service was started successfully."

    Finally, no updates available (in previous tries to fix this issue I have already checked for updates, disabled the existing driver and downloaded one from the LG website. Doing this didn't help the issue).

    I was left with the command prompt C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase. You didn't say what to do at this point, and it's been a long time since I've had to use a Command Prompt. I just typed Exit and the box closed...hope that was OK.

    As you haven't provided any other steps, I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I now re-setup the Windows Hello Fingerprint in Settings\Accounts\Sign in Options? If so, it may take a couple days before I'll know if your steps worked. As I mentioned in my initial post, this is an intermittent problem. I didn't say in my initial post that I had already disabled the Fingerprint and have been using just the PIN for the past two days. So far it hasn't been an issue and works each time. It has just been the Fingerprint that works intermittently.

    Please advise what the next step is.

    Jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments