Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T23:12:43+00:00

    Spoke to LG today. I was told that bios is reading fingerprint when pressing power on. That is why the laptop is booting straight into windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:38:36+00:00

    AWESOME! I’m making a note of your solution and implementing it, Jan~SL., so I don’t power up my laptop one day and walk away, forgetting anyone nearby will have access to my data.

    “DO NOT register any finger that you will use to actually Power On the laptop. Yes, it's that simple.”

    Update - yup, I just removed my right index fingerprint from the Windows Hello login and added a different finger, as the power button's location on the LG Gram would most likely result in a natural tendency to use the right index finger to power the laptop on. I, and I'm sure many others, certainly don't want a power-on button press to be automatically construed as a desire to also automatically sign-in to the laptop. Imagine being in a place where you aren't necessarily alone, such as in an office, powering on your laptop and then walking away for a moment (going to get a cup of coffee) and coming back to find your latest work sitting in full display on the screen.

    Jan-SL - I'm so glad you asked this question because it was bugging me as well. And I wasn't sure if it was an LG Gram issue, Goodix driver issue or Windows issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:12:02+00:00

    Cage0022,

    I am cautiously hopeful that you stumbled onto the SOLUTION for intermittently bypassing Windows Hello Biometrics Fingerprint (as only more time will tell for sure). I've been testing your statement for the past two days "Is it possible that pressing the power button also has BIOS/UFEI also read the Fingerprint, and that's why it's logging in automatically?"

    After thinking about your question, and reviewing the link you provided, I got to thinking that this makes perfect sense. I've always thought there had to be something everyone else with solutions was missing...and the intermittent thing always bugged me. So, YES, I believe that after 12 Shutdowns, several restarts and returns from sleep the Fingerprint is now working and never once has it gone directly to the desktop during the trials. A few times it wouldn't accept the Fingerprint and after two tries required the PIN (but I also solved that).

    The SOLUTION is this: When you set up your Fingerprints in Windows Hello, at least on the LG Gram or any other laptop that uses the Power On Button as the Fingerprint Scanner, DO NOT register any finger that you will use to actually Power On the laptop. Yes, it's that simple. This is something nobody had mentioned in anything I've read or even in this thread, that is until you Cage0022, posed the question. Once I removed all my stored Fingerprints and redid prints for only those fingers I will never use to Power On the laptop...the intermittent bypass of Windows Hello stopped. As to being required to enter the PIN after just two tries with the Fingerprint, that is solved by making sure you place your (stored) finger solidly in the center of the Fingerprint/Power On key and not move it. I found that I was actually swiping the key a bit when trying to unlock.

    Thank you again Cage0022 for posing the question. Right now, I'm a happy camper. ;-)

    Jan S~L

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-31T21:38:25+00:00

    Anyone viewing this thread having this problem with anything other than an LG Gram laptop?

    (Mine is an LG Gram 17ZB90R)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T11:56:21+00:00

    correct ...

    Ensure you don't have POWER SAVING on for USB devices.

    When not in use, it cuts power to the USB fingerprint reader.

    e.g. close lid, sleep

    The backup is you use PIN to login.

    dumb programming ...

    HW didn't talk to SW DIVs.

    LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments