As it's now been almost a week since I re-ran your Step 4, this time making sure to "run as Administrator", I am letting you know that it fixed the intermittent issue with the computer bypassing the Windows Hello Start Screen and going straight to the desktop, or at least for six days it did.
I believe there is an issue involving Fast Startup. Prior to six days ago, I had been using Fast Startup until I read that it can add to your problems, especially when making changes to the system (like an update, or changing a driver). As all the previous 'fixes' I had tried were done while using Fast Startup, before I re-ran your Step 4, I turned off Fast Startup, and did a Restart. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Fingerprint driver, as I had done it earlier when I was using Fast Startup. Another Restart.
The Fingerprint sign on then worked for six days, so I decided to turn Fast Startup back on today. And the problem came back! Fingerprint sign on only worked for two sign ons, then on the third it became intermittent, again, and bypassed the Windows Hello Fingerprint Start Screen and went straight to the desktop. I have turned off Fast Startup again, and will keep it off, especially if by doing so keeps Windows Hello Fingerprint working. I can only hope it lasts.
While Windows Hello Fingerprint sign did work for those six day, it's seems there is still something a bit abnormal about it. With multiple daily sign ons over the six days, while the Start Screen showed the Fingerprint icon every time, 99% of the time it also showed a message below the icon stating my 'Fingerprint cannot be recognized; try another finger'. This is BEFORE I even scan my print for the first time. I can then scan my finger and complete sign on. Is it normal to get such a message before you even scan your finger? (1% of the time I just get the Fingerprint icon and no message underneath.)
If you have anything more for me to try, let me know. Otherwise, it is what it is and I'll just live with it.
Thanks for your assistance,
Jan