How to unlock a device i locked

Anonymous
2023-08-21T20:01:07+00:00

* * Mod note: Brought here by a search? See the possible solution by ArthurNOL on page 4 of this thread. It helped a few people.

I locked a device when the person i gave the device didn’t return it the day they mentioned they would return, they returned my device just now and i cannot find any unlock option in my phone in the Microsoft site (which i used to lock the device using this Microsoft account). The message shown in my laptop after entering my PIN is as follows: “An administrator has restricted sign in. To sign in, make sure your device is connected to the internet, and have your administrator sign in first”. My device (the laptop which is locked) is connected to the internet and i have signed into my Microsoft account using my phone., But this message is still shown after countless time’s restarting my laptop.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-28T21:40:23+00:00

    I had the same problem and had to search a while for a solution that worked. It's crazy that Microsoft dares to release such a feature in this state.

    Anyway, the solution I found goes as follows.

    1. From the lock screen. Click on Restart while holding shift.
    2. Go to Troubleshoot > System Restore
    3. A window should open where (hopefully) a version of windows will be shown from before you locked your pc. Reverting to this should "unlock" your pc (you still need to unlock the normal way) and you don't lose your files or apps.

    Hope this helps! I'm not a computer expert so don't think that I can help any further. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T15:36:53+00:00

    I cannot see unclok option in find my device

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-14T00:22:59+00:00

    Its now march 13th, 2024 and i am also having this same isue.. and with all the time that has passed and after trying countless different methods suggested nothing has worked.. i am now being forced to whipe everything and lose all my work and files.. good job Microsoft good job

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-14T02:13:20+00:00

    I was told they could send a tech for $255. I said all he will do is just change some numbers around so why cant’t I do it and he said if it was possible for me to do it I wouldn’t be talking with him. I’m going to take mine to the Geek Suad in Best Buy. I was told if it under and hour to fix it’s not as expensive as everyone thinks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-14T02:20:20+00:00

    Yeah all this hassle for Microsofts incompetence.. i just took the Loss and wiped everything

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments