Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in

Anonymous
2023-11-07T21:54:48+00:00

As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:

It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.

How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T08:44:36+00:00

    Does it work with Chrome?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T08:35:05+00:00

    If you have identified the application that uses webview you can do it via registry.

    First, download a fixed version of webview and drop it wherever you like (C:\temp):

    Microsoft Edge WebView2 | Microsoft Edge Developer

    Then, apply manually this policy : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-webview-policies#browserexecutablefolder

    You have to create a regkey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\WebView2\BrowserExecutableFolder and then a value REG_SZ named as the executable you want to manage.

    For example, if your exe is called myapp.exe, you'll need to create this value, the contents of which will be the folder for the set version of webview :

    This will only work if the popup that's bothering us is opened within an application that uses EdgeWebView2 to display the authentication form.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-17T17:58:54+00:00

    Is there a solution for people without local policy editor installed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-16T18:29:55+00:00

    Thank you! and frankly wow that you even thought to do that. I too use bluetooth so it's not the solution for me, but could surely help others and Microsoft if they ever care of the security vector they have wide open... IF MS has a bounty program, this could surely make someone some money!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-14T15:49:23+00:00

    I had an Android Device (Pixel 6 Pro) that I upgraded to Pixel 8 Pro and NOW Microsoft will only recognize the OLD Pixel 6 Pro and requires me to use an Obsolete Phone to remove my Win11 Passkey (A Complete Security Risk). I Don't have that phone now, So I can't delete the SECURITY RISK of an Old Phone and NO ONE Between Microsoft and Google Cares at ALL? Plus I am also getting this annoying Sign In request every single time....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments