My water Mark still there and I’ve tried several different codes to activate. None of them work.
Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023
Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.
The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.
I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.
In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.
My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2023-11-13T19:04:36+00:00 -
Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-11-13T15:42:25+00:00 I had no idea that they just don't care.
They have no influence on BIOS writers and cannot correct these writer's errors.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-13T15:31:44+00:00 I noticed this morning that the activation watermark is gone from my screen but Windows still shows as not activated. Can anyone else confirm they removed the watermark or is this something that shows up periodically?
-
Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-11-10T18:37:36+00:00 I cannot say about current policy but 3-4 years ago it was possible to re-issue a product key after sending a scan of payment document and recipe.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-10T18:26:01+00:00 Thanks....ended up getting a new licence and making 2 copies of keycode to keep in safe places,seems like if you lose it,there is no way of retrieving it from MS.