Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023

Anonymous
2023-10-16T20:08:55+00:00

Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.

The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.

I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.

In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.

My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T01:00:19+00:00

    I updated my BIOS yesterday and suddenly my copy of windows was deactivated, which I have been using for years through numerous actual hardware upgrades. I had previously purchased a Windows 10 pro upgrade directly from Microsoft prior to upgrading to Windows 11 during the insider program, but after 3-4 hours on the phone yesterday and today (having to completely repeat myself every time), I just gave up and bought a new license. I'm hoping with that record if they ever give an update to what was broken that I have some way to get a refund, but even with me knowing my original keys they couldn't help me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-13T15:18:42+00:00

    Here to report that I have this issue after updating the BIOS on my MSI motherboard. There is literally no way to contact MS about this issue. They have created a circular support flow that takes you through an endless process that fails and never provides the alternate phone method which I've had to use in the past. My license was purchased as W7 Pro and has been updated to W10 then W11 and was working normally until the BIOS update. The machine is a registered device in my Microsoft account. Their approach to non -support of home devices running Windows is completely unacceptable. I have five devices and have been completely happy with MS up until this incident. I had no idea that they just don't care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-08T15:49:12+00:00

    This happened recently to me, on a previous BIOS upgrade I was able to activate Windows.

    This time it is not working. Each BIOS update appears to be creating another entry on my list of devices

    for the same hardware.

    On another PC it did not prompt me to activate windows at all.

    So this seems to be a motherboard issued based on your manufacturer.

    Home users like me that do their own hardware updates, like BIOS updates and

    motherboard upgrades should have this happening to them.

    I need a phone number to activate windows but the option is not showing up at all

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-10-23T14:03:09+00:00

    I don't have a product key -- probably my fault for not storing it somewhere,

    If you have a proof of a purchase - receipt or other purchasing documents - support person may sometimes re-issue a new product key for you. Please try to contact support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-17T00:13:11+00:00

    One other option.. Buy another license.. There is an online shopping service similar to Ebay that has Windows Licenses Cheap.. They are likely OEM or Volume Licenses.. I have purchased several and have not had a problem other than you may need to go through the phone activation process.. The site is Ecrater..

    I appreciate the reply and advice. I definitely am not buying another license from Microsoft after this mess and I will likely wind up going this route with some discounted OEM license. I've used them in the past as well but figured I wouldn't have to keep doing that with the full license from MS directly. How ridiculous of me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments